You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-08 12:04:37

Garf

[Solved] AMD Fusion and Open Source Drivers

Hi...

I Have just spent the night installing Arch, second time, but the first time was ages ago, so it's like a new experience again.

Anyway, my situation is, I have just got a new ASUS AMD Fusion board, and I am running it in my lounge room. I have it hooked up to my TV using HDMI. I'm basically going to be using it for playing videos that I download, a glorified jukebox, etc etc.

So, I am at the part of the installation where I need to install the graphics drivers. Will I be able to run the video and sound through the HDMI well enough with this driver? Or should I use the Catalyst driver? I have had a look at the wiki for that, and it looks a lot more complicated.

I know this is a new processor/graphics chip, but any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Garf (2011-06-13 21:43:00)

#2 2011-06-08 13:36:14

ChoK

Re: [Solved] AMD Fusion and Open Source Drivers

http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

HDMI Audio works for R600/700 and is in the todo list for Evergreen and Northern Island GPU. Also there is no hardware decoding for the open source driver yet (though the proprietary driver doesn't seem to fare that well either)

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#3 2011-06-08 17:33:55

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

The Catalyst drivers work great on Fusion.  Just enable the catalyst repo (as described in the wiki) and everything Just Works (so far at least).

#4 2011-06-09 12:10:50

Garf

Thanks... I've run into a problem straight away though...

I am following: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AT … t#kernel26

I have downloaded catalyst.tar.gz and catalyst-utils.tar.gz, and extracted.

I then go into catalyst-utils, and type makepkg -c and I get the following:

makepkg -c
==> Making package: catalyst-utils 11.5-2 (Thu Jun  9 22:02:55 EST 2011)
==> Checking runtime dependencies...
==> Missing Dependencies:
  -> netkit-bsd-finger
==> Checking buildtime dependencies...
==> ERROR: Could not resolve all dependencies.

Is there a better guide?

Edit: Also, I am doing this via ssh, as the computer is in the living room and it's easier to do it from my computer, while looking at the instructions. That won't matter will it?

Last edited by Garf (2011-06-09 12:23:50)

#5 2011-06-09 12:19:38

ChoK

http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/makepkg.8.html

makepkg -cs so it will call pacman to install missing dependencies

Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#6 2011-06-09 12:22:31

Garf

ChoK wrote:

http://www.archlinux.org/pacman/makepkg.8.html

makepkg -cs so it will call pacman to install missing dependencies

Thanks... am doing this now... it's now installing dependencies.

#7 2011-06-12 11:27:29

Zmyrgel

Ah, so open source is no go for HDMI audio for now. Been trying to get it to work for few hours.
Got my own Zacate box few weeks ago and been trying to get this up and running properly but still its no go.

I tried the Catalyst drivers too but for some reason the picture gets all 'jagged' with it. Open source drivers the screen is as clear as expected but with catalyst its bit distorted.
The distortion was reduced when I connected the HDMI-cable to from my receiver straight to my TV but still the image quality isn't as good as with the Open source ati.
Any ideas what could be causing the display quality issue with catalyst?

#8 2011-06-12 12:05:11

Garf

No, I have it all running now (sound wise). I have not tried it with much volume, as I have just got it working (I have another post talking about that). I can't test it till my wife finishes her studying for the night smile

As far as Catalyst goes, it's running ok for me... Was able to watch some 720p mkv files no problems... looked great...

I went straight for catalyst because I was told that the hardware acceleration was not available on the open source drivers.

Last edited by Garf (2011-06-12 12:07:20)

#9 2011-06-13 13:27:26

ChoK

Can you add [Solved] to the subject of your topic please, it will be more visible in search results.

Picasso
Saint Exupéry

#10 2011-07-17 17:21:28

SiD

Garf wrote:

As far as Catalyst goes, it's running ok for me... Was able to watch some 720p mkv files no problems... looked great...

Waht about 1080p mkv (x264) files. Ist the Zacate with catalyst fast enough to watch them?

#11 2011-07-17 21:56:32

Garf

Hi, I have not played any 1080p mkv's. They are hard to find...

I watched some 720p ones over the weekend, and they can at times be a little slow, or they have a little line of distortion at times. So it's not perfect.... but not really noticable either.

If I had waited a little longer, I would have gotten a Llano APU instead, but then you don't get the low power etc...

I'm curious to see how it runs on windows though, but I didn't leave space for it on the hard drive, and I don't want to ruin all the hard work I have done toget Arch up and running...

#12 2011-10-14 15:11:13

Rolinh
Website

Hi,

very interesting post. I just assembled a HTPC based on the ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe motherboard (with AMD E-350 wink ) and I could not get the audio working through HDMI.
So, as soon as I return home, I will try with the proprietary driver hoping that the image quality will be as clear as with the open-source driver.

#13 2011-10-14 22:24:37

Radioactiveman

#14 2011-10-16 13:35:43

Rolinh
Website

@Radioactiveman: thanks. I installed the catalyst driver through the repository alongside with Xorg 10, also through its repository. I added the nomodest and also radeon.audio=1 but still no sound through HDMI. Am I supposed to configure something else? I cannot adjust anything through alsamixer. Are you sure it is working for you?

EDIT: well, it works now...

Last edited by Rolinh (2011-10-16 19:24:59)

Board footer