You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-09 17:18:47

walterjwhite

archiso - USB thumbdrive problems

Hi all,

I have made a custom version of Arch Linux with all of my pre-configured settings ...

When I dd it directly to a hard drive and boot, it boots fine, but when I dd it to a thumbdrive, I can't boot.

The boot process dies at processing UDEV events and ultimately fails.  I did get it to boot once, but haven't been able to reproduce that.

Any ideas what I am missing or why it would be any different from a USB thumbdrive and hard drive?  I first thought the IO was much slower, but when it did manage to boot once, it was actually pretty quick.

Walter

#2 2011-06-09 17:24:02

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: archiso - USB thumbdrive problems

why have you created this thread in the community contributions?

Moving to newbie corner...

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-06-09 17:42:27

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps if you retry the dd of the thumb drive, it will run correctly.

Be sure to dd the of=/dev/sd(x)...

EDIT : Perhaps an fsck on the thumbdrive will fix it....

Last edited by lilsirecho (2011-06-09 17:56:22)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#4 2011-06-12 17:08:11

walterjwhite

Hmm, the strange thing is, I appear to be getting i/o errors.  The thumbdrive is brand new and it is a Sandisk, so I wouldn't expect to have problems from the start.  I ran an md5 and it checks out.  Oddly enough, when I played around with it again this morning, it booted the first time and all subsequent times, it didn't.

Are there any good tools out there to determine if it is indeed bad?

Walter

#5 2011-06-13 19:08:48

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps using f12 and selecting USBHDD will permit the thunbdrive to boot.  (This assumes your bios is arranged as mine is!)

At least, f12 might give some access to the USB mode.

I have had similar problems with a USB HDD which needs f12 to permit it to boot.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#6 2011-06-13 19:28:29

walterjwhite

I am not sure if we're on the same page.

I can boot from the USB thumbdrive, but it bombs out at the point where it is waiting for UDEV events.  I thought it might be something with the BIOS, but I tried on several other machines, all have the same problem.  I tried to put another distro on there, but had issues with that.  It may be it is indeed bad, I'll need to run some diagnostics on it though.  To me, it looks like there are I/O errors as other times when I booted and got the UDEV errors, there were i/o errors running commands.

Walter

#7 2011-06-13 20:07:21

lilsirecho
Veteran

Perhaps as others report the udev hang may last for minutes and then proceed to load the rest of the process.

#8 2011-06-20 12:29:24

walterjwhite

As I posted above, it booted fine about 2 times.  All of the other times UDEV hung and ultimately failed.  When that happened, I also noticed that a bunch of other services failed to start and the init process reported I/O exceptions which weren't very detailed.

Walter

Board footer