You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-14 21:57:54

mihailclement

desktop going black randomly

hey guys!
I've just installed Arch for the first time on my system so i'm a noob and i have an issue for wich i hope i can get some help on this forum.
here it is;
while installing arch for dual boot with windows xp my desktop would go black randomly,i think like 5 sec apart,but it installed succesfully.after that i rebooted my pc  same issue after i enter linux my screen goes black the same way.i haven't installed any packages so far except those from the installation cd
i hope i made myself clear.
if someone knows anything  or have some clue it would be highly apreciated.thanks a lot!

p.s i installed it on qemu before and worked ok so....

#2 2011-06-15 00:06:31

kronig

Re: desktop going black randomly

Hi and Welcome!

Your screen went black while installing from the Live CD or while booting from it? You can boot now? If the issue happens while booting, can be that your dont have the appropriate drivers for booting in the KMS mode, which I think is the default today on arch.

First, post your video card info here. Is a nvidia, ati? Or a intel...?

Can you boot Windows and verify if that randomly blackness happen too?

You can try our wiki and other threads on this forum. That issue can happen to a lot of users and some old threads have lots of info.

#3 2011-06-15 02:15:45

ewaller
Administrator

So, it sounds as if you are not using Xorg yet.  Can you very that?
Does your system use an external monitor? If so, is LCD or CRT?  VGA, HDMI, DVI ?
What happens if, when it is black, you enter Ctrl-Alt-F1  ??
Have you configured your system so you can log in via ssh? Can you?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2011-06-15 23:05:27

mihailclement

here we go! I don't have any issues booting windows.it boots ok.
i don't know what to think because after i upgraded and made new user went ok it wouldn't go black randomly,
but today it happend again after i botted arch.there is no problem loging in and it works fine besides going black randomly.
installed Xorg already but the same happens.I have an ati radeon 9100 family. thanks

#5 2011-06-15 23:08:24

mihailclement

p.s both while installing and after booting and windows works fine no problem

#6 2011-06-16 00:08:00

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

have you installed the correct drivers for the 9100?

Edit: Its not just the monitor going into power save mode is it?

Last edited by Inxsible (2011-06-16 00:08:53)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#7 2011-06-16 01:02:05

mihailclement

no,i guess not. because it happens wether i move the mouse or not.i installed the open source driver xf86-video-ati,but i don't know what difference could that make as it  happend during installation?!

#8 2011-06-16 01:05:29

mihailclement

p.s it goes black but the monitor doesn't turn off while it goes black (which last for a second or so )

Board footer