You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-15 06:52:29

sinusoid

now that the option to disable MOD_AUTOLOAD is gone...

from /etc/rc.conf, i would like to disable it manually.  however, it suggests blacklisting each individual module i do not want to load using modprobe.conf.  this is not what i want. I want to prevent EVERY module from loading except the modules in the array.   i don't want to recompile the kernel with only the modules i need either.  i want to be able to load the modules i rarely use only when i need them.

i think what i need to do is figure out how to write a udev rule that will override the line "DRIVER!="?*", ENV{MODALIAS}=="?*", RUN+="/sbin/modprobe -bv $env{MODALIAS}" in /lib/udev/rules.d/80-drivers.rules.  I could simply comment this line out, but i would like all the rules in /lib/udev/rules.d to remain untouched as the warning at the top of each file recommends.  I guess my question is, would it be possible to create a rule in /etc/udev/rules.d that will actively override that line from the other set of rules?

Last edited by sinusoid (2011-06-15 06:57:03)

#2 2011-06-15 14:31:30

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: now that the option to disable MOD_AUTOLOAD is gone...

I want to prevent EVERY module from loading except the modules in the array.
i want to be able to load the modules i rarely use only when i need them.

Why not blacklist modules that you don't want to load and then add the modules that you do want to start in the MODULES array?

as for some modules that you want to load only when you need them, just do a modprobe <module-name>

or am I missing something here?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-06-15 17:22:43

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

sinusoid wrote:

If you omit "udev" from the HOOKS array in mkinitcpio.conf then this is what happens. The only modules that get loaded are the ones explicitly in the MODULES array of mkinitcpio.conf.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#4 2011-06-17 03:45:26

sinusoid

Inxsible wrote:

i want to be able to load the modules i rarely use only when i need them.

Why not blacklist modules that you don't want to load and then add the modules that you do want to start in the MODULES array?

as for some modules that you want to load only when you need them, just do a modprobe <module-name>

or am I missing something here?

for some reason, almost no modules that I try to blacklist in modprobe.d ever works.  i do blacklist <modulename>  in a .conf file in the modprobe.d directory and it still gets loaded every time .  i've confirmed that these modules are not loaded by the initramfs either. 

I guess i'll just use an old version of the initscripts for now.

#5 2011-06-17 04:59:20

sand_man

sinusoid, read ConnorBehan's post.

neutral

Board footer