You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-17 20:25:16

phie

Intel Sandybridge arch compatibility? Interested in Lenovo X220 laptop

Hi,

I would like to purchase a Lenovo X220 and Lenovo T420. I am making the switch back to Linux on my laptops — for the past five years, I’ve used OS X. Therefore, please excuse my ignorance…

From what I have read, Nvidia Optimus is not yet supported (and will not be officially supported) on Linux. Does that mean I will not benefit from the long battery life? Are there any other benefits I will miss out on?

I read about bumblebee, which is a software app that will allow you to use the better, Nvidia graphics, if and only if you call it, for a specific task. Is that right?

What if I purchase the Lenovo T420 without the Nvidia graphics, so it only has the Intel HD Graphics 3000. Will the graphics card work?

Do I need a specific chipset for wifi to work fine under linux?

Are there any other compatibility issues with the Lenovo X220 and/or T420 that I should know about, before I make a purchase? The sale ends tonight, so I am hoping I will get some replies!

#2 2011-06-17 20:44:04

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Intel Sandybridge arch compatibility? Interested in Lenovo X220 laptop

Moving to Laptop Issues.

You might want to have a look at the "Laptops which run Arch"  sticky thread, to see if someone with a similar laptop has had any experience with it.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-06-17 21:03:44

phie

Thanks! I looked for the X220 and T420s and T420 but did not find anything relevant, unfortunately. I saw your post about the T40 though. smile

#4 2011-06-17 21:17:12

measure

There's quite a bit of information available at http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo- … -x220.html  I'd read that entire thread before you ask any more questions, as all your questions are most likely already answered on it.

To answer your questions to the best of my knowledge:

I can't really say anything about the nvidia graphics, but unless you absolutely must have discrete graphics, I'd go for the Intel graphics.  They are quite capable for everything except gaming (I don't think the nvidia graphics are really anything to write home about, either) and are generally well-supported in Linux.

As far as the wifi cards go, again going with Intel basically assures that you will not have driver problems.

If there are any issues with the newer thinkpads, they will eventually be sorted out (with possibly the exception of optimus).

This is a bit off topic, and I don't know exactly what sale you're talking about, but you should see if it is compatible with http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont … inkPad_DOS if you plan on only using linux.

Thanks,
Ryan

#5 2011-06-20 16:20:49

steve___

measure wrote:

This is a bit off topic, and I don't know exactly what sale you're talking about, but you should see if it is compatible with http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/cont … inkPad_DOS if you plan on only using linux.

Thanks,
Ryan

Sonofa...  I just received an x220 last week.  On Lenovo's order process, under OS they give the two options: Windows 7 Home and a Pro version -- why woudn't they list Free Dos here?  >:-/   I called Lenovo today and they suggested that since I have received the order my only option is to return the laptop and make a new order.  This is subject to a 15% restocking fee -- blah.

#6 2011-06-23 20:34:12

Hohoho

If it has Optimus, then you won't be able to comfortably use your laptop without dancing around with bumblebee and other trickery, external display ports will
probably not work.

Just go with a Intel video only solution, save yourself from a lot of headache.

#7 2011-06-24 00:30:26

jaco

Hohoho wrote:

If it has Optimus, then you won't be able to comfortably use your laptop without dancing around with bumblebee and other trickery, external display ports will
probably not work.

Just go with a Intel video only solution, save yourself from a lot of headache.

Forgot to mention that, if you use Gnome3, external display ports work but the external screen management is totally crap, anyway... even with an Intel only solution smile

Board footer