You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-21 16:49:05

sederek

[Solved] SVN - create repository from old one with changed directories

Hi all,

Not related to Arch Linux (I'm proud of it!) but I didn't know where else to ask that.

I had a repository on my USB drive Arch installation. It was setup like this:

repository path:

/home/username/Desktop/SVN

imported by "svn import ..." and developed further:

/home/username/NetbeansProjects/prj

Now I decided to change the directory structure, I want it to be this way on my new Arch installation, which I installed on the hdd of my laptop:

new repository path:

/home/username/Desktop/SVN/prj

I want to serve old repository's /home/username/NetbeansProjects/prj/src/prj/* from this path (which is @ rev 31):

/home/username/Desktop/KOD/prj

Thing is, I couldn't accomplish to import this specific sources folder to my new repository setup, without disrupting its current revision number, history, etc.
I couldn't figure out, how to import the directory with its current svn settings.

Any help is appreciated..

Last edited by sederek (2011-06-22 13:35:31)

#2 2011-06-22 13:27:52

stqn
Website

Re: [Solved] SVN - create repository from old one with changed directories

Maybe I'm tired or I haven't been using svn for too long, but you're not making any sense to me smile.

It seems to me that you had only one project in your previous repository, and now you want to have one directory per project inside your new repository. Is that correct?

If this is the case, can't you simply rename/move your files into this new directory?

Alternatively, if that's not what you want to do, maybe svnadmin dump / svndumpfilter / svnadmin load is what you need. I'm not sure if revisions are renumbered or not on svnadmin load, though... There doesn't seem to be any option for that.

Edit: if you use svndumpfilter, you can also change the paths manually inside the dump, and then load it into a new repo.

Last edited by stqn (2011-06-22 13:29:49)

#3 2011-06-22 13:34:46

sederek

Re: [Solved] SVN - create repository from old one with changed directories

You are absolutely right - as I was missing the fundamentals of version control systems' philosophy. I dumped and loaded the old repo to its new location - and then moved the intended directory to its intended location. omg, I'm such a noob <:(

Thanks for the reply, though wink

Board footer