You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-22 14:00:25

davvil

Worrying about my hard disk

I just booted my laptop (Lenovo T500) and the /home partition wasn't there. After rebooting it recovered, but only after a long fsck (without any special messages, as far as I could see). This already happened once, a couple of months ago, although since then I didn't have any problems with it. Both / and /home have jfs as file system, /boot has ext3.

So, I have a couple of questions:

1) Should I be worried? I already have a backup of the most important data, which at the moment of writing I am updating smile

2) Are there some log files of the boot-time fsck which I can check, in order to have a guess of what might be happening?

3) How could I find if it's a physical or logical error? With / and the windows partitions I never had any issues.

Thanks.

#2 2011-06-22 14:01:43

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Worrying about my hard disk

hdparm and if your drive supports it, smartctl

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-06-22 14:39:14

ewaller
Administrator

davvil wrote:

... I already have a backup of the most important data, which at the moment of writing I am updating smile

By that, of course, you mean you have at least two tested off-line copies, at least one of which is kept off site -- right?

Sorry -- I saw this as an opportunity to get on my soapbox.  I'm done now smile

Last edited by ewaller (2011-06-22 14:39:45)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2011-06-22 14:45:32

ewaller
Administrator

I just booted my laptop (Lenovo T500) and the /home partition wasn't there.

Please confirm that this partition is on the same physical drive as are / and /boot.

What I am most interested in are any log entries that occur at the time that /home fails to mount.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2011-06-22 14:45:54

weltio

I dont know which kind of hard disk is used in your lenovo, but often the manufacturer offers software to test it on a lower level than the OS does. (e.g. Samsung's ESTOOL)
But with handling SSDs I cant help...

Board footer