You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-28 13:57:33

ouroboros

Problems with port forwarding

Hello,

I'm trying to configure my computer as an ampache and ssh server, but so far I've had no luck. Specifically, I can't figure out how to make the server accessible from over the internet.

Things that work:

• Ampache itself works fine when I access it from the computer that it runs on, i.e. when I navigate to localhost/ampache in my browser.

• The same is true for ssh.

However, when I enter my external ip address (the one I get from my ISP) into my browser, I arrive at my router's web interface. This seems slightly strange to me, since the remote configuration option is not activated. Besides, I have set up my router to forward ports 8080 and 22 to my computer's static internal ip address at ports 80 and 22 respectively. When I try to access these ports from the wider net, I get a “connection refused” message, although several online port checkers report that my ISP doesn't block these ports. My router's firewall is switched off. The router is a Huawei B970, incidentally.

#2 2011-06-29 15:14:46

mpgnetz

Re: Problems with port forwarding

Hello,

I have a similar issues and hope you kind folks can assist. I an running subsonic on arch using port 4040. I have altered my hosts.allow to ALL: ALL and my hosts.deny is empty. Internally I am able to access the server from other machines with no issues. Externally when I configure the port forward rule target ip 4040 it works for 10 min then suddenly stops.

Internal I am fine, if I reapply the rule I am again for another duration. Then is stops responding. I have had this configured on a Ubuntu and a Windows box and the port fwds work like a charm. What is it on arch that I may possibly be missing. I tried searching but come up empty at this point.

Thanks in advance.

#3 2011-06-30 02:18:50

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Problems with port forwarding

Have you looked in the router's logs for hints?  See if it is rejecting packets. 
Can you access your system from other computers on it's subnet (behind the firewall)?

As to the admin interface, the router might use the logic that the port making the request is from the local network and not from the wild.  It is not how I would do, but it could  be the case.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer