You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-30 07:05:44

Master One

UMASK & DIR_MODE for local & NFS use?

I am trying to replicate my Debian setup on Arch, where I have UMASK set to 002 in /etc/login.defs and DIR_MODE to 0700 in /etc/adduser.conf, so that all files created on my NFS share have mask 0664 and local users' home dirs are created with mask 0700.

On Arch there is no /etc/adduser.conf, and adduser just creates users' home dirs according to UMASK set to 077 by default in /etc/login.defs, which means there is no "easy" way to differentiate, and to get the mentioned behavior, the only way seems to be to either patch /usr/sbin/adduser with setting the mode to 0700 after homedir-creation, or to do that manually after adding a new user.

Setting UMASK always has been a problem, because afaik there is no way to separate on local and NFS use, so to have files on a NFS share be fully accessible by a group of users (and be readable by others), one has to set UMASK to something like 002 on all accessing machines, and then take care of local user protection (by setting mode to 0700 to users' homedirs).

Does anybody know if there is any easier way to accomplish that task?
Any hint for a different proceeding?

Board footer