You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-05 05:59:43

MetalheadGautham
Website

Installed Archlinux: No Display

I just finished installing Archlinux on my eMachines e725 laptop (which seems to have no issues with most distros). Since I was upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 I ensured that my /home partition was intact and some other partitions were left untouched, and as far as the configuration went, I decided to stick with the defaults since my install was very generic. I selected all packages in base, base-devel, iptables and sudo for installation. It went smoothly, but now when I reboot, the GRUB menu appears and I select the kernel and I get the usual messages... But then the display is completely blank after that! No message telling me to login. Tried switching consoles and absolutely no display. Tried this a few times and each time the display went blank when its supposed to display login menu. Any idea why ?

Oh and BTW I used the Netinstall x86_64 Live CD to install.

#2 2011-07-05 06:03:26

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Installed Archlinux: No Display

MetalheadGautham wrote:

Tried this a few times and each time the display went blank when its supposed to display login menu.

If you are looking for a gui display manager like gdm etc...then no, Arch doesn't give you that by default. You will have to install it yourself. Read up more about Arch Linux.

or are you talking about the command line login? then have a look at the xorg logs and dmesg. have you installed display drivers?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-07-05 06:08:15

MetalheadGautham
Website

I mean the screen is blank. There is normally a commandline prompt right ?

#4 2011-07-05 06:17:04

moetunes

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#5 2011-07-05 17:32:52

MetalheadGautham
Website

Thanks big_smile
It worked... I've a decent Xfce Desktop now big_smile

Board footer