You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-05 20:32:21

initbox

Can't connect to system DBus?

On a fresh install, I'm unable to start pulseaudio and it seems to be because it's unable to connect to the system DBus?

start-pulseaudio-kde 
E: main.c: Daemon startup failed.
Jul  5 23:25:37 localhost pulseaudio[3085]: core-util.c: Failed to connect to system bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Jul  5 23:25:37 localhost pulseaudio[3085]: bluetooth-util.c: Failed to get D-Bus connection: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Jul  5 23:25:37 localhost pulseaudio[3085]: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-bluetooth-discover" (argument: ""): initialization failed.
Jul  5 23:25:37 localhost pulseaudio[3085]: main.c: Module load failed.
Jul  5 23:25:37 localhost pulseaudio[3085]: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

I can't come up with anything that could be causing this, the DBus service is obviously running (and not crashing).

#2 2011-07-05 20:33:05

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Can't connect to system DBus?

and how are you starting dbus?

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-07-06 05:23:00

initbox

Inxsible wrote:

and how are you starting dbus?

The regular way, rc.d start dbus and I've also set it to start up at boot.

I've tried starting it up in other ways to try to get some error messages out of it but it seems to lead a quiet life. Can't find anything worthwhile in the system logs either.

I also checked the config file for the system level DBus and it matches a working DBus config down to the md5sum...

Last edited by initbox (2011-07-06 05:25:20)

#4 2011-07-06 18:14:51

Stebalien
Website

IIRC pulseaudio also needs a session bus. KDM should start one automatically but if you are using a tty login, you will need to prepend dbus-launch to your kde startup command in your ~/.xinitrc.

Steven [ web : git ]
GPG:  327B 20CE 21EA 68CF A7748675 7C92 3221 5899 410C
Do not email: honeypot@stebalien.com

#5 2011-07-06 19:44:56

initbox

Stebalien wrote:

IIRC pulseaudio also needs a session bus. KDM should start one automatically but if you are using a tty login, you will need to prepend dbus-launch to your kde startup command in your ~/.xinitrc.

My user level DBus seems to be fine, it's just the system level DBus. (dbus-monitor shows action as well).

The thing is, I can't use KDM, it tries to start X and the X crashes but KDM is left running. My best guess is that that is also caused by the DBus. (I'm not getting any errors and if I use startx as a user, X starts normally, the only thing I haven't done is strace KDM...) The funny thing is, I can use startx and it starts the user level DBus which works, but I can't start Pulseaudio because it can't connect to the system DBus... (strace seems to indicate that Pulseaudio tries to get the audio devices through the system level DBus?)

This problem is pretty retarded, I don't have any idea what the problem could be, I used the exact same install script (just all the needed packages for X, KDE and Pulseaudio) on an install two weeks ago and I'm using the same configs on the same machine but I have this problem...

Board footer