You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-13 03:31:53

vinhsynd

Help Configuring User Access for Private Directories via NFS

I've searched the forum and have not recognized an answer to what I'd like to accomplish.

I've setup a home file server that uses NFSv4 to export a few mounts for 2 other client computers in the house.

The setup looks like this:

Server:

Exports -
1 Media directory tree with read/write access to anyone in the user group.
1 User directory tree that is read/executable by any user in the group that holds individual private user directories.

The private user directories are only read/write/execute enabled for that specific user. These are not home directories for the users - they are just their own private network storage space.

I've enabled nfs-common, nfs-server, idmapd, rpcbind on the server, and nfs-common, idmapd, rpcbind on the client.
NFS is setup to use idmapd in its config file, and idmapd is configured so all the machines are in the same domain.
The hosts allow file is configured so that the rpcbind, nfs, idmapd all have subnet access.
I'm able to mount the root export and see both the media directory and the user directories.

However, while I can read down the directories in the media directory tree, I am unable to enter into the user directories - this includes the user directory that matches the client login name.

For example if I am on a client machine logged in as Vinhsynd and am trying to access the server export directory Vinhsynd that has its owner as Vinhsynd with rwx------ permissions set on the server it will not let me enter the directory.

I did look at the UID number and they are different between the client machine and the server. However I though idmapd was supposed to translate between the UID differences as long as both idmapd.conf files listed the same domain. If that is not the case what can I use to translate between UIDs on different machines?

Last edited by vinhsynd (2011-07-13 03:38:32)

The older I get the less time I have.

Board footer