You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-15 16:47:21

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Bluetooth keyboard ignores Xorg keyboard layout only in login screen

Now that my bluetooth seems to be running reliably (thanks Murtuza and Ng-Oo-Nee) there's one final issue to deal with. The bluetooth keyboard stubbornly sticks to the default US (QWERTY) layout instead of switching to the BE (AZERTY) layout defined in the Xorg configuration. However, that only happens in the login screen - once I'm logged in, the bluetooth keyboard happily cooperates and does AZERTY.

Things I've tested:
- laptop keyboard already uses AZERTY in login manager (so the keymap seems to be loaded correctly);
- change login manager (I use XDM; installed GDM, but the issue remains: laptop keyboard works with AZERTY layout, bluetooth one with QWERTY until I'm logged in);
- add a configuration file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ specific to the Apple Wireless Keyboard (filtered on MAC address) that tells it to load an AZERTY layout; no dice either;
- add a 10-keymap.fdi file to the HAL configuration files in /etc (I know, it's deprecated, but hey, maybe it works - but it doesn't).

The fact the laptop keyboard uses the correct keymap suggests it's not a problem with XDM but with the bluetooth keyboard itself. The strange thing being of course that once I'm logged in, it uses the AZERTY layout like expected.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Last edited by .:B:. (2011-07-15 16:48:05)

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#2 2011-07-15 18:51:02

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Bluetooth keyboard ignores Xorg keyboard layout only in login screen

if you are still backgrounding hal and bluetooth, try not to.

point being...if the bluetooth connection is up and running before your DM is up, it might set the correct keymap because that might be done only after an established connection.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-07-15 19:53:42

Forum Fellow
Website

Hal isn't backgrounded anymore, but bluetooth is (the wiki said specifically that Dbus had to be running before bluetooth). I'l see what foregrounding the bluetooth service as well does.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#4 2011-07-21 11:45:38

Forum Fellow
Website

So I did a bit of testing. With our without bluetoothd backgrounded, the keyboard uses a QWERTY layout. If I switch to tty1 and back to tty3 then (where the X server runs), it's AZERTY.

#5 2011-07-24 09:52:25

Fif91

Hi,
I got the same behavior with my MX 5000 Logitech keyboard.
From the last bluez-4.95-1 update, my keyboard and mouse are considered in the distribution as bluetooth peripherals (whereas before they were considered as USB peripherals means worked without loading the bluetooth module).

If you speak French, here is a link to the French forum where guys help me to find a workaround : http://forums.archlinux.fr/topic8823.html

Trying to put : "setxkbmap fr" in /usr/share/config/kdm/Xsetup solve the problem in the login manager.

If you want to notice something, you can put it in this bug : https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39460

Last edited by Fif91 (2011-07-26 12:26:26)

Board footer