You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-20 07:43:41

magesha

[SOLVED] Installing modemmanager + accessing aur + misc issues

Hi All:

I am new to Arch. It was a very learning and trying experience getting Arch up and running with Gnome 3, and wireless connectivity etc., but it was a lot of fun and the system is very fun to use.. Now, I have Network Manager installed so that I can also connect to the internet using a datacard (USB modem) as well as wireless internet when in office.

After struggling to get the modem out of the CD mode, installing modemmanager, and usb_modeswitch, things were working ok, sort of. Network Manager detected my datacard and showed it in available connections in the applet (in the clutter notification).. When I clicked on it to try and connect, nothing happens. I then open Network Settings, and go to Mobile Broadband tab, and click on "Options" but nothing shows up. I thought maybe, modemmanager didn't install properly so I try uninstalling it, and re-installing and try again. I guess I did this a couple of times without thinking.. Somewhere in the middle of it all, modemmanager got messed up, and when I did "clyde -Qi modemmanager", it showed like (typing this from memory):

extra/modemmanager <version-number>
         Null  

So, I uninstalled it ("clyde -R modemmanager"), and tried reinstalling it (clyde -S --repos modemmanager), but it won't install. It keeps saying that there are many files are that already existing so installation is aborted. I am not sure if I can delete those files (some are in the d-bus folder etc).. Without modemmanager, my USB modem won't show up on the network manager applet anymore.

I wanted to post the contents of that error message here, using pastebin, but that brings me to the next problem:

Some websites are not accessible from my Arch installation. The websites I know aren't working are:

1. Aur website (doesn't load),
2. Arch forums (loads but won't let me post),
3. pastebin.com (loads but won't let me post),
4. Youtube (loads site but video won't load).

These sites work fine from my windows installation. Also, sending email via IMAP on thunderbird is very whimsical. I think if the message is bigger than a particular size, it gets stuck halfway.. Searching for the youtube issue, I found someone saying that setting MTU on the network manager will solve it. So, I set MTU to 1436 bytes. (or something close) That solved the youtube problem, but the remaining problems still persist.

Sorry I am not able to give all the error messages here yet, because of the website accessing problem in my Arch installation. I am posting this from windows. Another problem I was having was not being able to write to my NTFS partition from Arch (even with root privileges) but I will leave that to another time/thread, because I still think there are things I can try to get that working..

I will try and use a wired connection to see if that solves the problems. Meanwhile, any suggestions on how I can cleanup the modemmanager files so I can re-install it would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Maha

Last edited by magesha (2011-07-20 11:54:59)

#2 2011-07-20 11:54:35

magesha

Re: [SOLVED] Installing modemmanager + accessing aur + misc issues

Ok, fixed it thanks to some very helpful people in the IRC channel. Many thanks.

I think my main mistakes was using clyde for installing from the repo, and not letting clyde finish properly once.. Removed the files after checking with pacman -Qo that they don't belong to any package. Then reinstalled modemmanager from the repo. Used nm-connections-editor to add the modem settings, and all set now!

As for the website/posting problem, somehow it seems to have vanished. Either my router has some intermittent issues or MTU = 1426 bytes is somehow sacred.. Anyways, marking this post as [SOLVED].

-Magesha

Board footer