You are not logged in.

#1 2011-07-31 17:05:07

tibco

openjdk vs jre problems

Hello, so im trying to run two java programs, IPlist and a game, Revenge of the Titans. When I install Sun's java (jre), i can use IPlist just fine. It opens perfectly and works just as it should. However, Revenge of the Titans only works when I have openjdk installed. why is this? Is there any way i can have both applications running under one java? And to make things worse, Arch wont let me have both javas installed and will remove one java when I install the other. Any help?

#2 2011-07-31 17:15:16

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: openjdk vs jre problems

Are you using [testing] and [community-testing] by any chance?

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2011-07-31 17:19:44

tibco

No, Im not. Should I be?

#4 2011-07-31 17:41:27

Mr.Elendig

Updated in the past 2 days and got java 7?

#5 2011-07-31 18:55:59

tibco

yeah i have...ill try a downgrade see where that gets me

EDIT: well I guess i dont have java 7 even though I just upgraded...somethings fishy. I'll investigate.

Last edited by tibco (2011-07-31 18:57:44)

#6 2011-07-31 19:12:42

tibco

So upon some investigating I found this under the AUR entry for iplist:

GUI mode does not work with "java-runtime" (OpenJDK) package.
    Only seems to work with "jre" (Sun/Oracle's Java Runtime) package.

As well, trying to run from Xfce 4.8 menu causes kdesu to be initiated...But does not accept root password. Problem with my kdesu config or problem with iplist's GUI?

...Runs fine if call "ipblock -g" (without quotes) in root at Terminal window.

Also, "java-runtime" is a dependency for Revenge of the Titans, so it NEEDS that package to play...Anything i can do?

#7 2011-07-31 19:40:52

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

as long as you install jre or openjdk, you should have java-runtime. java-runtime is what they call a place holder package and both jre and openjdk put in the appropriate symlinks to it.

I find it odd that the applications work only with specific jres. openjdk was supposed to provide all the functionalities of sun jre.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#8 2011-07-31 20:15:48

tibco

Oh, I guess I do have jdk 7 according to the Readme. Is there any way to install both so I can use these applications?

#9 2011-07-31 20:45:00

Mr.Elendig

tibco wrote:

So upon some investigating I found this under the AUR entry for iplist:

GUI mode does not work with "java-runtime" (OpenJDK) package.
    Only seems to work with "jre" (Sun/Oracle's Java Runtime) package.

As well, trying to run from Xfce 4.8 menu causes kdesu to be initiated...But does not accept root password. Problem with my kdesu config or problem with iplist's GUI?

...Runs fine if call "ipblock -g" (without quotes) in root at Terminal window.

Also, "java-runtime" is a dependency for Revenge of the Titans, so it NEEDS that package to play...Anything i can do?

jre provides "java-runtime"
jdk provides "java-enviroment"
openjdk provides both.

#10 2011-08-02 05:10:01

tibco

yup. I understand that, so it *should* work. But it doesn't...Is this specifically an application problem or is there anything I can do about it?

#11 2011-08-15 22:55:10

CJMackey

There's nothing wrong with your Java install. Revenge of the Titans uses LWJGL, a library that provides bindings to OpenGL functions. A behaviour that LWJGL required to work properly on Linux was removed in the update to Java 7. This issue is covered on a thread on the LWJGL forums:

http://lwjgl.org/forum/index.php?topic=4085.0

It has now been reported to be fixed with a recent nightly build of LWJGL. You may wish to contact the game developer and let them know of this incompatibility, so they can start shipping a newer version of the library with the game, or include the code in the linked forum post to work around the issue until LWJGL is updated with a new stable release.

Theoretically, it should also be possible to replace the bundled LWJGL jars and .so's yourself, though I haven't tried this myself.

Board footer