You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-04 23:31:44

jlacroix

Display Managers, How Necessary Are They?

Hello everyone. I decided to redo my laptop a few days ago, and started to think about display managers. Mainly, I was thinking about which display manager to use (gdm or slim) for an XFCE-based Arch install, and I started to ask myself, why even install one at all? I'm very proficient with the command line, so I started to wonder if the reason I use a display manager in the first place is possibly because I'm a creature of habit.

So, what are your opinions or experiences of operating without a display manager (using startx whenever you want a GUI) rather than installing a display manager at all? Are there any caveats to not having a DM, or maybe they provide something valuable I'm forgetting about? I'm considering setting up my laptop with XFCE and no display manager to see how that would work. Maybe it's not really necessary for me.

Note: I hope I posted this in the right place, it's more of an opinion post than requesting help.

Last edited by jlacroix (2011-08-04 23:32:47)

#2 2011-08-04 23:33:22

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Display Managers, How Necessary Are They?

not necessary at all. I haven't used one ever on Arch.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-08-04 23:36:40

karol
Archivist

Inxsible wrote:

+1

You don't even need startx but it's pretty handy.

#4 2011-08-04 23:37:07

jlacroix

karol wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

+1

What do you do instead?

#5 2011-08-04 23:43:25

stlarch

I don't use one either, but some others seem to like cdm.

#6 2011-08-04 23:56:33

karol
Archivist

jlacroix wrote:
karol wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

+1

What do you do instead?

I have

x:5:respawn:/bin/su - -- karol -l -c '/usr/bin/xinit -- /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp :0 </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1'

in my /etc/inittab. It's a slight modification of https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/St … .2Finittab - w/o the startx part.
Instead of

├─login───bash───startx───xinit─┬─.xinitrc───dwm───firefox───23*[{firefox}]
     │                               └─X

I get

├─su───bash───xinit─┬─.xinitrc───dwm───firefox───23*[{firefox}]
     │                   └─X

(pstree output)

Not sure if it's worth the hassle ;P

Last edited by karol (2011-08-04 23:57:28)

#7 2011-08-04 23:57:17

skunktrader

Did you try this yet?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_boot

Edit: karol beat me to it

Last edited by skunktrader (2011-08-04 23:58:37)

#8 2011-08-05 00:04:27

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

I have this:

x:5:once:/bin/su inxs -l -c '/bin/bash --login -c /usr/bin/startx >/dev/null 2>&1'

But startx and xinit, I believe are both from the same package. xorg-xinit. So it won't save you any diskspace. But one process less, I guess

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#9 2011-08-05 00:36:54

hauzer
Website

I use SLiM, it's just nice to have a greeting screen, although in Windows I always set up autologin, so that couldn't be a habit from there. I don't know.. Maybe I'll just kill SLiM for a while and see how it'll go.

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
What profit hath a man of all his labour which he taketh under the sun?
All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again.
For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.

#10 2011-08-05 02:15:18

throdon

I feel more like a hacker (and I guess more secure without one) Nobody knows what to do if they start my computer up and I can t sign in for them.

#11 2011-08-05 04:00:38

jlacroix

throdon wrote:

I feel more like a hacker (and I guess more secure without one) Nobody knows what to do if they start my computer up and I can t sign in for them.

LOL, I was thinking something similar to that in the back of my mind.

I started creating an XFCE based image on my laptop, without a display manager, and I am liking it. I'm still trying to get Samba to work (I already created a topic about that) but so far I'm loving XFCE and having a blast playing around with it.

#12 2011-08-05 04:25:34

Brcher

With startx (err, xinit) in your iniitab, wouldn't you be in trouble if an update messed up your (extremely temperamental) nvidia videocard?

I never saw the point in a display manager- you still have to put in your name/password (right?), so you aren't saving any time at startup. Unless s-t-a-r-t-x takes a long time to type I guess. And I recently gained an irrational hatred of them due to a certain prominent distro's auto-respawning display manager. (and confusing GUI once it started!) Also, you don't always need a to startx (what if you're just writing something or coding? No need to start up x over that...)

#13 2011-08-05 04:36:52

lolilolicon

We all know that display managers are not necessary, and are largely deemed bloat. No point in echoing that.
The question is, do they provide any real advantage? Or, by comparison, is there any disadvantage of the startx/xinit procedure?

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#14 2011-08-05 04:49:03

ANOKNUSA

I use the mingetty auto-login feature, as my laptop's locked down in the BIOS.  That avoids the problem of allowing someone to login at the DM screen, and prevents them from gaining root access with any live media.  I suppose I should encrypt my home folder too, since even though the machine's a brick to anyone who steals it the drive's still accessible, but I rarely take it with me anywhere it might be snagged so I've procrastinated.

#15 2011-08-05 04:52:16

alphaniner

So your BIOS lockdown isn't something that can be cleared by resetting CMOS? Nice, but god forbid you forget that password.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#16 2011-08-05 05:59:21

ANOKNUSA

alphaniner wrote:

So your BIOS lockdown isn't something that can be cleared by resetting CMOS? Nice, but god forbid you forget that password.

You probably could actually open the thing and manually perform a BIOS reset, but really: how much effort is a thief gonna go through for it?  Between model-specific research and the time and tedium just to pawn it for 50 bucks--hell, you might as well just get a job with a steady paycheck.  While thieves likely assume (mostly correctly I suspect) that the average person uses a simple password and not much else for security, they'd get my machine, have no idea what to do with it and toss it in the trash.  I'd get the last laugh in my own dorky, impotent way. tongue

#17 2011-08-05 06:59:09

Awebb

I run slim as a daemon. We sometimes have power cuts, my computer restarts (happens often at night). Now I have a very loud NVIDIA gfx card, that needs X running to throttle down the fan. So, after a crash, I want X up, but after a crash I certainly don't want to be logged in automatically. I also find it less than comfortable working in a tty on this machine, I can't use the second monitor, I can either have KMS drivers or a silent gfx fan and the resolution doesn't fit with the nvidia drivers.

There are disadvantages of using startx from a tty:
1. One tty is blocked as long as you're in X.
2. Anyone with access to your computer can switch to that tty and zap your X with <C-c>. That alone is annoying enough to know...
3. ... but after that he has your login open unprotected. I know, anyone with physical access to a machine can do anything, but after someone broke into my system with a grub trick (or whatever), I usually have a chance to notice it.

Inxsible wrote:
x:5:once:/bin/su inxs -l -c '/bin/bash --login -c /usr/bin/startx >/dev/null 2>&1'

So I got this right? It asks you for your login data and then starts x?

#18 2011-08-05 07:19:10

lolilolicon

Awebb wrote:

There are disadvantages of using startx from a tty:
1. One tty is blocked as long as you're in X.
2. Anyone with access to your computer can switch to that tty and zap your X with <C-c>. That alone is annoying enough to know...
3. ... but after that he has your login open unprotected. I know, anyone with physical access to a machine can do anything, but after someone broke into my system with a grub trick (or whatever), I usually have a chance to notice it.

You don't have to leave the login open. Just replace `startx' with:

startx &
logout

in ~/.bash_profile, for example. Works for me.

This silver ladybug at line 28...

#19 2011-08-05 09:43:01

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

This is not really an Arch Discussion, moving to GNU/Linux.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#20 2011-08-05 12:43:50

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Awebb wrote:
Inxsible wrote:

So I got this right? It asks you for your login data and then starts x?

No. I login straight into my i3 wm. The good thing is, unless the thief is a linux junky, he isn't going to be able to do anything on login because everything is keybindings based on my setup. All you see is a screen session on desktop 1 big_smile

Forum Rules

#21 2011-08-05 13:01:07

Cloudef

.jari//LOLI :: /home/jari :: branch: master? [16]
>> cat .bash_profile 
. $HOME/.bashrc

if [[ -z "$DISPLAY" ]] && [[ ! -a "/tmp/.X11-unix/X0" ]] && [[
"`whoami`" != "root" ]]; then
  /usr/bin/xinit -- /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp :0 </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1
  logout
fi

I use that

#22 2011-08-05 14:29:34

Awebb

lolilolicon wrote:
startx &
logout

I was just hit by the obvious train, I guess ~.~

@Inxsible: :-)

#23 2011-08-05 14:40:11

karol
Archivist

Brcher wrote:

With startx (err, xinit) in your iniitab, wouldn't you be in trouble if an update messed up your (extremely temperamental) nvidia videocard?

I never saw the point in a display manager- you still have to put in your name/password (right?), so you aren't saving any time at startup. Unless s-t-a-r-t-x takes a long time to type I guess. And I recently gained an irrational hatred of them due to a certain prominent distro's auto-respawning display manager. (and confusing GUI once it started!) Also, you don't always need a to startx (what if you're just writing something or coding? No need to start up x over that...)

I have two other consoles I can use if my X is having a bad day.
If I'm testing something, I can always disable init 5, boot to init 3 test, reboot and so on.

#24 2011-08-05 14:48:19

George.Harmony

xinit

All I've used for the last 2 years.

Last edited by George.Harmony (2011-08-05 14:50:08)

Desktop:  Compiz Stand Alone w/ Cairo Dock.
Laptop:    Pekwm w/ Tint2
Jukebox:   MPD w/ cli
Gateway: Vuurmuur w/dialog

#25 2011-08-06 01:34:34

bluepumpkin

I have this in my .kshrc (I use openbsd's pdksh).

if [ "$TERM" = "linux" -a "`tty`" = "/dev/tty1" ]; then
        xinit
        exit 0
fi

Board footer