You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-15 21:18:13

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Probs with openvpn

Has anybody got OpenVPN2 working well under Arch? I had no trouble setting it up under Slackware, but for some reason I'm failing with Arch.

I get this error message every time I try to log on:

Note: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/net/tun: No such device (errno=19)
Note: Attempting fallback to kernel 2.2 TUN/TAP interface
Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/tun0: No such file or directory (errno=2)

This is after I've manually created the device /dev/net/tun using the following procedure:

# mkdir /dev/net
# mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200
# modprobe tun
# echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

I verified the existence of /dev/net/tun and the permissions seem fine on /dev/net and /dev/net/tun.

Any ideas? As I say, this same procedure works fine on Slackware 10.1, also running kernel 2.6.11.

Thanks.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#2 2005-05-15 23:13:03

IceRAM
Website

Re: Probs with openvpn

1. is Slackware running DevFS or Udev
2. the permissions might be ok, but the application might run with different permissions under each distributions (you might want to check this too)
3. make sure the nodes created manually are the same

P.S. I have never used openvpn

#3 2005-05-15 23:21:05

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Slackware runs under Udev. I wondered if this was what was making the difference, but I wasn't able to figure out exactly how.

I hadn't thought about different permissions for different distros. I'll play around with that.

Meanwhile, I'm recompiling my Arch kernel to build in the Tun module. Before I had to load it manually. Maybe that will help.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#4 2005-05-15 23:25:04

IceRAM
Website

IceRAM wrote:

2. the permissions might be ok, but the application might run with different permissions under each distributions (you might want to check this too)

=drop privileges of the current user and switch to another more restricted one (for security reasons), like apache does. The new user rights should match the node permissions.

Also, check the Udev rules. I don't know if there are rules for those nodes in the default ruleset.

Board footer