You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-08 03:10:26

uncholowapo

Network Speeds Slow in Arch... But Fast In Win7?

Well I just installed Arch on a second partition in my RAID0 array. Everything went great, bootloader installed fine with the instructions from the Fake Raid section in the Wiki.

Now, during the download phase of the install, the speeds were always throttled to around 130-140K/s on any mirror I tried and sometimes would just stop completely with a "Connection Timed Out" error when trying to download a core package. I have Comcast with 1MB/s speeds so there is something wrong.

Had to cancel the install entirely quite a few times because there was no alternate mirror to fall back on and the install would fail because of it. I just said screw it and downloaded the core ISO with "outdated" (:p) packages already in the ISO. Installed like it should but when updating to the current packages the speeds were still throttled and the connection error still exists. It would even stop during the download of some packages and come up with some address error that I can't remember.

I thought it was a problem with the networking module or configuration so maybe updating might fix it but alas its not. It took me an entire day of just downloading the updates, waiting for the connection to time out, and restarting the network daemon so that it starts working again. Aside from the extra Fake Raid stuff it usually takes me 15min to install Arch.

Now, the weird thing is that when I log into Win7, the speeds are normal. There is no throttling and no timing out.

What could be happening? I'm so lost.

#2 2011-08-08 05:45:04

oboedad55

Re: Network Speeds Slow in Arch... But Fast In Win7?

Wired or wireless? I usually use the kernel.org mirror on install and it seems OK. Afterwards I install reflector and that speeds things up quite a bit.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reflector

Registered Linux user #436067

#3 2011-08-08 07:07:31

uncholowapo

Wired, and I don't think its the mirrors. I'm using the rit.edu mirror which is the fastest and most up to date. Behind that are the kernel.org mirrors which fall second in my region. They both are getting the handicapped speeds either way.

#4 2011-08-08 07:23:06

oboedad55

Maybe I missed something. Are you having a problem during or after install? I too am on Comcast 1 mb.

Registered Linux user #436067

#5 2011-08-08 07:26:12

uncholowapo

Had it during install and is still going on after.

#6 2011-08-08 15:26:23

uncholowapo

I don't know if it was disabling IPV6 or changing the DNS name servers from OpenDNS to Google's but I am getting my usual speeds again with out any time outs or hangs. Wierd.

Board footer