You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-09 22:40:02

dale6998

"Connection error" with all torrent clients

Hi All,

I've been using Arch for about 6 months now, and I just love it.  However, it's still a learning experience, and I learn the most when things break.  I'm in luck...something has broken big time...I can't seem to get any connection with any torrent client.  I've tried Deluge and Transmission, which always worked, no problem.  I noticed this shortly after the 'networking' deamon went depricated.  All ports are properly opened up, and nothing else has changed.

I can post output of any commands that the gurus feel would be informative and I thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me learn and fix this thing at the same time!

Best,

--D

#2 2011-08-10 07:45:05

stqn
Website

Re: "Connection error" with all torrent clients

What's the exact error/symptoms? Does it happen with different torrents/trackers?

#3 2011-08-10 09:37:49

gymka
Website

i have same problem, only difference that my torrent client(deluge) on start connects to all torrents and later no more connections are made... looks like on start everything is ok and later all incoming connections are killed. deluge is sending "update" to trackers and trackers receiving it, but data transmission is not going.
another symptom of problem: "ping google.com"(or archlinux.org, or any host except my ISP site) don't receive any answer or error, while earlier everything was ok. i though that is my ISP fault, but if i'm not the only one which has such problem - maybe it's archlinux fault.

Last edited by gymka (2011-08-10 09:38:31)

#4 2011-08-10 14:17:33

dale6998

stqn,

the symptom is that the rest of the network is fine...email, web, ftp, etc all works fine.  However, torrent files never seems to get started.  They're idle and at 0.0% until they finally time-out.

Again, I suspect it's something on my end, since I just switched ISP's and the problem is unchanged.  Also, like I said earlier, this has started happening right after the 'network' daemon became depracated.

Thank you,
--D

#5 2011-08-10 18:14:51

alphaniner

gymka wrote:

another symptom of problem: "ping google.com"(or archlinux.org, or any host except my ISP site) don't receive any answer or error, while earlier everything was ok. i though that is my ISP fault, but if i'm not the only one which has such problem - maybe it's archlinux fault.

I have had this happen numerous times, and have to cycle power to my router (WRT54g) to fix it.  But in my case even connections on my LAN and the router itself become unreachable.

@dale
Are you able to scrape torrents?  Transmission (transmission-cli) has some tools for scraping and otherwise querying torrents, maybe the output would be useful here.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#6 2011-08-10 20:49:08

dale6998

@alphaniener
I'm afraid I don't know what that means or how to do that.  I appreciate the input and would like to learn though!  :-)

--D

#7 2011-08-10 21:00:52

alphaniner

Basically, scraping a torrent means requesting information about it (such as # of seeds and peers) from the tracker.  It may also return information about the tracker itself.

If you have transmission-cli installed, the command would be transmission-show -s <file.torrent>

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#8 2011-08-10 21:45:16

dale6998

thanks alphaniner...this is the output:

[dale@bubbles ~]$ transmission-show -s ".............."

... error: Couldn't connect to server

Last edited by dale6998 (2011-08-14 18:27:30)

#9 2011-08-11 00:09:40

alphaniner

You should probably obscure certain details in output like that, both for your sake and for the forum's.

That said, I'm afraid I don't have anything to offer aside from the obvious fact that "Couldn't connect to server" is not good.  Transmission may need to be configured to use the ports you have open.  And on that note, maybe you should go to canyouseeme.org or some such and ensure your ports are open.

-Lysander Spooner

#10 2011-08-11 00:15:08

Gusar

Piratebay hasn't operated a tracker in a long time now. Is that the only tracker in the torrent? If so, there's your problem. You need to put other trackers into the torrent, and hope they're tracking what you want to download. I'm not completely sure, but I think transmission allows you to do that easily.

Oh, and I agree with alphaniner about obscuring.

Last edited by Gusar (2011-08-11 00:16:13)

#11 2011-08-11 02:45:40

alphaniner

Transmission-cli has changed since I last used it*, but there was a way to list all trackers described in a torrent.  In the current incarnation, I'd say 'transmission-show' seems like the one to try.

*[Crotchety old man voice]Back in my day, we only had one transmission command, not six! And you had to type upside-down and backwards to get it to work![/C.o.m.v]

Last edited by alphaniner (2011-08-11 02:46:49)

-Lysander Spooner

#12 2011-08-11 02:46:03

stqn
Website

Just to confirm: the pirate bay tracker is down.

Make sure that you have DHT enabled in Transmission's options (Privacy tab, "Use DHT to find more peers.") This way, you should be able to find peers even with trackerless torrents.

#13 2011-08-11 02:53:27

stqn
Website

gymka wrote:

i have same problem, only difference that my torrent client(deluge) on start connects to all torrents and later no more connections are made... looks like on start everything is ok and later all incoming connections are killed. deluge is sending "update" to trackers and trackers receiving it, but data transmission is not going.
another symptom of problem: "ping google.com"(or archlinux.org, or any host except my ISP site) don't receive any answer or error, while earlier everything was ok.

Looks like a different problem. Have you tried reducing the maximum number of peers and/or connections? You should probably open another thread though.

#14 2011-08-11 03:05:45

alphaniner

stqn wrote:

Make sure that you have DHT enabled in Transmission's options (Privacy tab, "Use DHT to find more peers.") This way, you should be able to find peers even with trackerless torrents.

Not that bit-torrent or public trackers are at all secure, but DHT further decreases privacy and increases risk.  Hence the option being in the Privacy tab.  Just FYI.

-Lysander Spooner

#15 2011-08-11 03:34:07

stqn
Website

alphaniner wrote:

Not that bit-torrent or public trackers are at all secure, but DHT further decreases privacy and increases risk.  Hence the option being in the Privacy tab.  Just FYI.

In France you're considered guilty if you actually upload a block of copyrighted data to a spying peer, not simply if you have your IP in the DHT or in a tracker's scrape list.

Then if in someone's country it is risky to simply have your IP in the DHT, I wouldn't count on using only trackers to help me stay hidden... But if enabling DHT is not wanted, it's also possible to add more trackers like Gusar suggested (e.g. udp://tracker.openbittorrent.com:80).

#16 2011-08-11 05:06:06

gymka
Website

alphaniner wrote:
gymka wrote:

I have had this happen numerous times, and have to cycle power to my router (WRT54g) to fix it.  But in my case even connections on my LAN and the router itself become unreachable.

i'm behind router, so i can't do that.

stqn wrote:
gymka wrote:

another symptom of problem: "ping google.com"(or archlinux.org, or any host except my ISP site) don't receive any answer or error, while earlier everything was ok.

Looks like a different problem. Have you tried reducing the maximum number of peers and/or connections? You should probably open another thread though.

i tried install older versions of deluge, delete all deluge config, reduce all connections to 1.

well i can download, just then i add torrent i have to restart deluge and only then it starts to download. i can't upload, but i can live without it:)

#17 2011-08-11 14:10:41

alphaniner

gymka wrote:

You mean you're not behind a router?

-Lysander Spooner

#18 2011-08-11 14:57:29

gymka
Website

alphaniner wrote:
gymka wrote:

You mean you're not behind a router?

my ISP has router, my PC to that router comunicates through VPN.

#19 2011-08-13 20:41:04

dale6998

Thanks for the help everyone.  I have also discovered that it's not just the Piratebay trackers that are not working.  It's every tracker.  I'm suspecting is a configuration file gone wrong, since neither transmission nor deluge work at this point.

#20 2011-08-13 21:05:44

Gusar

What are the chances that bittorent is being blocked on the network? Have you tried using tor for tracker connections? It's what I do to get around the block. And I allow only encrypted peer connections, those are the only ones that get through anyway.

#21 2011-08-13 21:32:20

stqn
Website

BTW dale6998, it has been suggested before, but please edit post #8 in this thread to remove any reference to potentially copyrighted material...

#22 2011-08-14 18:30:28

dale6998

@stqn:  Sorry, I didn't know I could re-edit posts...All set now.

@Gusar:  I don't think that's the problem.  I'm connecting to trackers (obviously not Piratebay trackers), I have DHT enabled, and I'm on a wired connection in my own home with port forwarding configured.  I can get a peer list from the trackers, but it just sits still at 0%.

Board footer