You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-24 18:42:34

insecticider
Banned

windows 7 already installed.. how to dual boot with archlinux?

Hi, I have already windows 7 installed on my laptop and as I want to start with arch linux, I now want to dual boot. I want both OS on the same SSD. I could install archlinux on my 2nd hdd but that would be a performance loss compared to an installation my my SSD. As my windows partition already has a fixed size (the fully 79gb or my 80gb SSD), how can i get archlinux on it? Also, can i simply delete archlinux later and windows 7 will work just fine?

Thanks

#2 2011-08-24 18:46:13

karol
Archivist

Re: windows 7 already installed.. how to dual boot with archlinux?

Shrink the Windows partition and make space for Arch. Read the wiki on dualbooting.

#3 2011-08-24 18:52:48

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

search the wiki for dual booting

EDIT : I should refresh pages more often.

Last edited by Inxsible (2011-08-24 18:53:24)

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#4 2011-08-24 18:54:10

Stephanie
Website

Does this help?
Windows and Arch Dual Boot

If you let GRUB override the Windows bootloader during install you will have to reinstal it if you delete Linux and need the Windows bootloader again.

Also you might want to read the beginners guide in the wiki, it's really helpful. smile

EDIT:

Inxsible wrote:

search the wiki for dual booting
EDIT : I should refresh pages more often.

Me too. XD

Last edited by Stephanie (2011-08-24 18:57:36)

"2 hours of trial and error can save 10 minutes of manual reading." (unknown)

#5 2011-08-24 19:10:46

insecticider
Banned

yeye i knew this tutorial.. i just didn't know that i could simply shrink the already existing and using parition. So i will shrink my SSD for windows to 50gb and get 30gb for archlinux and later try to figure out how to install some apps on my 2nd hdd instead of the ssd.

thanks !

#6 2011-08-24 19:51:31

Deemoney14

Stephanie wrote:

If you let GRUB override the Windows bootloader during install you will have to reinstal it if you delete Linux and need the Windows bootloader again.

With all due respect, you kinda make this sound like you have to reinstall Windows ENTIRELY if you delete Linux.  You just need to restore the bootloader to the MBR, which is easily done with tools like Super Grub Disk.

P.S. - Be aware that resizing any exisiting partition, bigger or smaller, Windows or Linux, will require an fsck/chkdsk the next time you start that OS.  Windows likes to reboot after doing a chkdsk of this form.  Just something to bear in mind if you plan to work distracted while it checks...

This isn't the signature you're looking for...  Move along...

#7 2011-08-25 06:17:30

Frankston

insecticider wrote:

Hi, I have already windows 7 installed on my laptop and as I want to start with arch linux, I now want to dual boot. I want both OS on the same SSD. I could install archlinux on my 2nd hdd but that would be a performance loss compared to an installation my my SSD. As my windows partition already has a fixed size (the fully 79gb or my 80gb SSD), how can i get archlinux on it? Also, can i simply delete archlinux later and windows 7 will work just fine?

Thanks

Have you tried out other linux distros before? Just as a tip, if you are a newbie, you may consider installing Arch in a virtual machine like VirtualBox for example just to try out if you're comfortable with it, leaving your hd setup and Windows completely untouched.

But if you have experience with other dirstos, go for it ;-)

Just my two cents ;-)

Don't talk about heroes - be one.

#8 2011-08-25 06:31:04

vcolonel
Website

Deemoney14 wrote:
Stephanie wrote:

You just need to restore the bootloader to the MBR, which is easily done with tools like Super Grub Disk.

Its easier than that, boot off a Windows XP install CD, go into recovery mode and type "fixmbr" and it will be back to normal smile

To get it working op, you will need to make room on the disk for Arch (shrink your Winxp partition), install Arch onto the spare disk and then tell Grub where your XP is located (theres normally a commented out option at the end of /boot/grub/menu.lst anyway).

Personal Blog
Registered Linux User #542318

Board footer