You are not logged in.

#551 2012-05-15 18:46:40

fat0troll

Re: Progress on Unity under Arch Linux!

z0id wrote:

Is there a repo with compiled packages? ayatana repo seems to be dated.

I have maded repo smile no warranty at all smile

No directory listing, sorry :-(

[unity]
Server = http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7890141/archlin … os/x86_64/

#552 2012-05-16 18:15:56

z0id

fat0troll wrote:
z0id wrote:

Is there a repo with compiled packages? ayatana repo seems to be dated.

I have maded repo smile no warranty at all smile

No directory listing, sorry :-(

[unity]
Server = http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7890141/archlin … os/x86_64/

Well, that's great, but personally I can't use it because I'm on 32bit.
I'm trying to get in touch with the guy behind ayatana.info.

Last edited by z0id (2012-05-16 18:17:03)

/usr/bin/drinking

#553 2012-05-17 03:42:50

chenxiaolong

fat0troll wrote:

https://gist.github.com/2694780

unity autobuilder based on chenxiaolong's gits smile with (auto)updater, yeah!

Use it at your own risk wink

Script is quick-and-dirty, fixes are welcome smile

Nice! I've updated the README file in Unity-for-Arch-Extra, so the hard coded array is no longer needed smile

If you want, you can list the packages from the README using (without optional packages):

sed -n -r 's/^[0-9]+: ([a-z0-9\-]*)[ ]+->.*$/\1/p' README

or (with optional package)

sed -n -r 's/^[0-9]+: ([a-z0-9\-]*).+->.*$/\1/p' README

Your current line does look cleaner though big_smile

By the way, I take your script as a challenge...I will try to make sure that no packages ever fail to compile big_smile

#554 2012-05-18 03:11:58

ElderSnake

Wonderful stuff chenxiaolong big_smile

Running Unity 3D on my 32bit Arch Linux right now and it runs beautifully.

I used fat0troll's script. When it finished I did notice it only built about half the packages which meant I still had to manually run makepkg on the rest and make sure all were built. However I think this is just because I hadn't satisfied many of the dependencies which "makepkg -si" took care of (though the script contains that same command so unsure of what went wrong).

Anyway, only issues I noticed are the User Session applet doesnt seem to be showing in the panel and the System Tray applet isnt showing most applications. i.e the sys tray will show the tray icons of Steam and Clementine, but nothing shows for Pidgin, Banshee or VLC etc.

Is this a known problem? If not, it's probably my own doing lol

Arch Linux - Intel E5200 Desktop (MATE GTK3)  | Fedora 25 - ASUS Core-i7 Optimus Laptop

#555 2012-05-18 03:30:15

chenxiaolong

ElderSnake wrote:

Wonderful stuff chenxiaolong big_smile

Running Unity 3D on my 32bit Arch Linux right now and it runs beautifully.

I used fat0troll's script. When it finished I did notice it only built about half the packages which meant I still had to manually run makepkg on the rest and make sure all were built. However I think this is just because I hadn't satisfied many of the dependencies which "makepkg -si" took care of (though the script contains that same command so unsure of what went wrong).

You're welcome! I'm glad you like it smile

I think the problem is that "makepkg -s" runs pacman with sudo to install the dependencies. The problem with sudo is that it will only wait for your password for 5 minutes (in other words, the package will be skipped if the password isn't entered within 5 minutes). And if you enter the password for the sudo before building, it work work either because sudo only keeps the root privileges for 5 minutes (well, it could work if you have a super-duper uber fast supercomputer that could build everything in less than 5 minutes big_smile).

ElderSnake wrote:

Anyway, only issues I noticed are the User Session applet doesnt seem to be showing in the panel and the System Tray applet isnt showing most applications. i.e the sys tray will show the tray icons of Steam and Clementine, but nothing shows for Pidgin, Banshee or VLC etc.

Is this a known problem? If not, it's probably my own doing lol

That's a "feature" of Unity. Ubuntu has code that blocks any application from the systray that's not Java or doesn't use their appindicator library sad

Last edited by chenxiaolong (2012-05-18 03:30:28)

#556 2012-05-18 03:35:59

ElderSnake

chenxiaolong wrote:

You're welcome! I'm glad you like it smile

I think the problem is that "makepkg -s" runs pacman with sudo to install the dependencies. The problem with sudo is that it will only wait for your password for 5 minutes (in other words, the package will be skipped if the password isn't entered within 5 minutes). And if you enter the password for the sudo before building, it work work either because sudo only keeps the root privileges for 5 minutes (well, it could work if you have a super-duper uber fast supercomputer that could build everything in less than 5 minutes big_smile).

That's a "feature" of Unity. Ubuntu has code that blocks any application from the systray that's not Java or doesn't use their appindicator library sad

Ahhh, thank you thank you smile Well explained. In that case I have no doubt the script probably works very well (and explains why it suggests a non-passworded sudo tongue)

As for the indicator thing, thats okay, guess its one of those little "teething" things we have to make do with big_smile it was annoying at first because Pidgin has no where to dock (as it doesnt seem to intergrate with the messenging menu, although the Status changer does work). But Pidgin runs fine if i just minimize it to the dash.

Arch Linux - Intel E5200 Desktop (MATE GTK3)  | Fedora 25 - ASUS Core-i7 Optimus Laptop

#557 2012-05-18 04:55:26

chenxiaolong

ElderSnake wrote:

As for the indicator thing, thats okay, guess its one of those little "teething" things we have to make do with big_smile it was annoying at first because Pidgin has no where to dock (as it doesnt seem to intergrate with the messenging menu, although the Status changer does work). But Pidgin runs fine if i just minimize it to the dash.

Actually, I just remembered that there was a post on WebUpd8 that gave a command which allows any program to use the tray. The command is:

gsettings set com.canonical.Unity.Panel systray-whitelist "['all']"

The original article is here: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/how-to-r … -area.html

#558 2012-05-18 06:18:43

ElderSnake

Dude...you are a god! big_smile Thanks, I had no idea about that. Works perfectly.

Last edited by ElderSnake (2012-05-18 06:20:00)

#559 2012-05-19 05:03:48

chenxiaolong

ElderSnake wrote:

Dude...you are a god! big_smile Thanks, I had no idea about that. Works perfectly.

No problem big_smile

#560 2012-05-19 14:54:43

mrmylanman

Thanks again for maintaining this, I have tried it out a few times in the past and it worked okay but Unity has stepped it up since then, it seems to run much smoother.  I'm glad it's still available and working great in Arch Linux!  It'll be awesome if Canonical contributed more upstream so we wouldn't have to resort to patching so many packages (especially QT which takes forever to compile).

Arch user since 2011-03-13

Thinkpad X220 Intel Core i7-2640M CPU, 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM, 160GB Intel SATA II SSD & 60GB OCZ mSATA SSD, 12.5" IPS 1366x768 Display, 6-cell Battery
(Installation date:  2012-03-19)

#561 2012-05-19 15:45:52

quasifilmie

One could always use makepkg using a different discrete user and have sudo privileges that don't require a password. This way you still save some security.

#562 2012-05-19 23:14:20

oskar.einstein

I have several bugs to report smile:
- unity-core doesn't seem to work, I have to use unity package instead
- in unity-2d metacity doesn't combine with panel [edit: my bad - /apps/metacity/general/show_maximized_titlebars]
- logging out from unity-2d takes over 30 seconds
- ubuntu-tweak require python2-defer which doesn't exist in repo
- last one, I have set gnome-terminal on alt+F3, if I press this combination quickly HUD appear, if I doing this slowly gnome-terminal appear hmm

Last edited by oskar.einstein (2012-05-20 00:20:42)

#563 2012-05-20 01:38:46

LungFungus

Hi all!

I have been compiling and installing everything in the github repo. I got up to the unity folder itself without any problems.  However when I run makepkg on unity/PKGBUILD I get the following error about libdbusmenu-glib/client.h not existing: error.  I feel like I'm just missing some dev library but I have not been able to figure out which one.

Last edited by LungFungus (2012-05-20 01:39:29)

fortune -o

#564 2012-05-21 17:02:33

chenxiaolong

mrmylanman wrote:

Thanks again for maintaining this, I have tried it out a few times in the past and it worked okay but Unity has stepped it up since then, it seems to run much smoother.  I'm glad it's still available and working great in Arch Linux!  It'll be awesome if Canonical contributed more upstream so we wouldn't have to resort to patching so many packages (especially QT which takes forever to compile).

No problem big_smile

From the Ubuntu Developer Summit, it seems that they are looking to drop Unity-2D. In that case, qt-ubuntu would no longer be  necessary. The Qt developers do accept quite a bit of the Ubuntu patches, such as global menu support. Too bad new patches come up as soon as the old ones are accepted smile

#565 2012-05-21 17:08:40

chenxiaolong

oskar.einstein wrote:

I have several bugs to report smile:
- unity-core doesn't seem to work, I have to use unity package instead

I'll try to fix this. It seems Unity-2D requires more files then just /usr/lib/libunity-core*.

oskar.einstein wrote:

- in unity-2d metacity doesn't combine with panel [edit: my bad - /apps/metacity/general/show_maximized_titlebars]
- logging out from unity-2d takes over 30 seconds

Then you're quite lucky! For me, gnome-session crashes and I have to switch to a TTY and restart LightDM big_smile Honestly, I don't know why this happens. I experience the same thing on my other computer.

oskar.einstein wrote:

- ubuntu-tweak require python2-defer which doesn't exist in repo

python2-defer is actually part of python-defer. The defer library supports both Python 2 and 3, so I made a split package.

oskar.einstein wrote:

- last one, I have set gnome-terminal on alt+F3, if I press this combination quickly HUD appear, if I doing this slowly gnome-terminal appear hmm

Yeah, I'm experiencing this too. I use Alt-Left and Alt-Right to go back and forward in the browser and every time, the HUD appears. This would be something to report upstream.

Sorry I wasn't able to solve any of the problems sad

#566 2012-05-21 17:11:05

chenxiaolong

LungFungus wrote:

Hi all!

I have been compiling and installing everything in the github repo. I got up to the unity folder itself without any problems.  However when I run makepkg on unity/PKGBUILD I get the following error about libdbusmenu-glib/client.h not existing: error.  I feel like I'm just missing some dev library but I have not been able to figure out which one.

Hmm...when you compiled libdbusmenu, did you install all three parts of the split package?

pacman -U libdbusmenu-<version>.pkg.tar.xz libdbusmenu-gtk2-<version>.pkg.tar.xz libdbusmenu-gtk3-<version>.pkg.tar.xz

#567 2012-05-21 19:06:12

LungFungus

chenxiaolong wrote:
LungFungus wrote:

Hi all!

Hmm...when you compiled libdbusmenu, did you install all three parts of the split package?

pacman -U libdbusmenu-<version>.pkg.tar.xz libdbusmenu-gtk2-<version>.pkg.tar.xz libdbusmenu-gtk3-<version>.pkg.tar.xz

Yes I did. I reinstalled them all as well just to be sure. I also rebuilt the libdbusmenu packages and installed them again, then tried building unity again, same error.

fortune -o

#568 2012-05-21 19:23:38

chenxiaolong

LungFungus wrote:

Yes I did. I reinstalled them all as well just to be sure. I also rebuilt the libdbusmenu packages and installed them again, then tried building unity again, same error.

Could you provide the following:

1. File list of the libdbusmenu package?

pacman -Ql libdbusmenu

2. Contents of /usr/lib/pkgconfig/dbusmenu-glib-0.4.pc

3. Complete build log of libdbusmenu (after removing pkg/ and src/)

4. Complete build log of unity (after removing pkg/ and src/)

Thanks!

#569 2012-05-21 19:25:02

chenxiaolong

NOTE Please make sure to update glib2-ubuntu after the regular "pacman -Syu" or GTK applications may stop working.

#570 2012-05-21 20:19:42

LungFungus

smile

fixed. I must have tried to build unity earlier on without libdbusmenu. After removing the pkg and src directories I was able to build unity.

Thanks!

fortune -o

#571 2012-05-21 20:30:53

chenxiaolong

LungFungus wrote:

smile

fixed. I must have tried to build unity earlier on without libdbusmenu. After removing the pkg and src directories I was able to build unity.

Thanks!

I'm glad you got it working big_smile Usually, removing those two directories will solve all the build problems. I always build with the "unitybuild" command, which I have set in ~/.bashrc to:

alias unitybuild="rm -rvf pkg/ src/ && makepkg -fsi"

#572 2012-05-22 00:31:34

pekmop1024
Website

http://unity.xe-xe.org/ for those who wants to try but did not want to build smile

ArchLinux x86_64 (passively cooled): Xeon E3 1230v2 - 32GB - GTX1050Ti KalmX - Samsung 850 EVO 1TB - 3x2TB Seagate - Creative X-Fi Titanium - Cheiftec GPS-500C
ArchLinux x86_64 (FrankenPad T420): i7 2720QM - 16GB - NVS 4200M - Samsung 840 EVO 1TB - FullHD IPS mod - Intel 7260AC - Sierra Wireless MC7304

#573 2012-05-22 10:17:28

xgdgsc

pekmop1024 wrote:

http://unity.xe-xe.org/ for those who wants to try but did not want to build smile

Thanks,really fast repo.
How I wish all the packages hit AUR and official repo some day ! (Seems not possible though)

#574 2012-05-24 01:27:21

sollidsnake

You guys are doing a awesome work porting Unity under Arch. Everything is running perfectly on my machine smile
But there are some programs like gimp, vlc and visualbox that the global menu is not working. Instead of appearing on the unity panel, it is appearing below the title bar. There are any fix for that?

Non serviam

#575 2012-05-24 02:16:21

xgdgsc

Have you installed appmenu-qt from repo?

sollidsnake wrote:

You guys are doing a awesome work porting Unity under Arch. Everything is running perfectly on my machine smile
But there are some programs like gimp, vlc and visualbox that the global menu is not working. Instead of appearing on the unity panel, it is appearing below the title bar. There are any fix for that?

Board footer