You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-12 16:45:19

DL1JHP
Website

HSDPA-Problems on a Thinkpad X60 /w wvdial

Hello all!

I would first like to introduce myself as a new member here: 24, studied it security (with no diploma hmm), now working for a large audit firm (accounting, that is, not security). I have used Arch for quite some time now and have encountered my first seemingly unsolvable problem.

I am using a Thinkpad X60 with it's original Sierra Wireless Adapter MC8755 which works fine in OSX10.8.6 (with some tool provided by Sierra) and in Debian. Since I don't want to go back to either of those systems, I would like to get some pointers on how to get hsdpa with wvdial or pppd smile

Currently, everything runs smoothly until after the CHAP-Authentication (only method allowed by my provider Vodafone). After the CHAP succeeds, the following text appears in the logs: IPCP: timeout sending Config-Requests. As far as I know this means that the IP couldn't be configured for my client. The console output says ..."that a modem hung up on the phone" (Exit code 16) or just gives me the exit code 10. When given code 16, the modem actually hangs up right after the CHAP-auth without trying an IP-configuration.

The modem was configured via minicom to deactivate the SIM PIN, which I subsequently proved by issuing the AT+CPIN?-command. I did this because I actually had this problem in Debian, where unlocking the SIM-Card did infact not unlock the SIM-Card. God knows where the PIN went, though...

So, if anyone of you has ever been lucky configuring a miniPCI-UMTS-adapter, I would love to hear their suggestions! If any configuration files are needed I can upload them later on, but I did not change the default configuration of wvdialconf. I only added the AT+GDCONF-parameters to set the correct protocol (IP) and APN (web.vodafone.de). The default pppd-options where also changed by adding the noccp-option because compression is not supported by Vodafone since the already compress the data.

#2 2011-09-19 20:40:05

DL1JHP
Website

Re: HSDPA-Problems on a Thinkpad X60 /w wvdial

As a quick addition I logged a complete ppp-session here http://pastebin.com/5zmuLman
What looks unusual to me here is that the IPCP-negotiation looks fine (Client and server are agreeing on the same addresses as you can see) but afterwards a rather cryptic "Received bad configure-ack:  03 06 6d 2e 6d 32 82 06 8b 07 1e 7d 84 06 8b 07 1e 7e" appears. According to the pptp-client-FAQ (http://pptpclient.sourceforge.net/howto … figure_ack) there would be a solution to this if this error wouldn't appear during the IPCP-process.

I know that this problem is not Arch-specific since I was able to use my 3g-card in Debian. The wvdial-options were the same, and the hardware hasn't changed since. I would however be very grateful if anyone here could help me!

Board footer