You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-21 16:10:54

lagagnon
Website

[Solved]:"rdate" no longer connects to any NTP server.

After a recent upgrade I discovered that "rdate", which I use to set my clock, no longer connects to any NTP server - it always times out, giving only a timeout error, nothing else. I have tried a number of different servers. Any ideas appreciated...

Last edited by lagagnon (2011-09-21 17:04:34)

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#2 2011-09-21 16:19:41

Gusar

Re: [Solved]:"rdate" no longer connects to any NTP server.

That's because rdate doesn't use NTP. I know of one server that works with rdate - ptbtime1.ptb.de. I used to know one that's in the US, but forgot it's address. Oh, yeah - wwv.nist.gov (no, that's not a typo).

However, my advice is to switch to a ntp client.

Last edited by Gusar (2011-09-21 16:27:10)

#3 2011-09-21 17:04:15

lagagnon
Website

Re: [Solved]:"rdate" no longer connects to any NTP server.

Yeah, think you are right. "rdate" uses an old RFC protocol and i think many of the time servers have dropped that protocol for the newer NTP one. Some I know enabled both protocols but I think that is a thing of the past. I have removed "rdate" and installed "ntpdate" instead. Marked solved.

Last edited by lagagnon (2011-09-21 17:04:51)

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

Board footer