You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-24 12:32:56

izobretenik

And so I installed Arch... (mate and splashy problems)

It's one of the best desktop environment I worked on so far, and among those I could choose from here (KDE4, GNOME3, xfce4, LXDE) this one just seems to fill my needs perfectly. Yet, a few problems remain.

First, you've got that software bundled I can't remember I did order, like: "7-zip FM", "Avahi Zeroconf Browser", "Avahi SSH Server Browser", "Avahi VNC Server Browser", most of which just can start anyway. What pisses me off is that neither do now what those could possibly be for.

http://www.abload.de/img/0018krv.png

Second, there are those two fake (empty?) application launchers - why on earth would I need them?!

http://www.abload.de/img/002ge74.png

And third, not really related to the DE I think - I just can't get splashy to work. No matter what I do, it just crashes while all is booting up - the logo appears for a fraction of a second and then all comes back to that service starting listing. I use SLiM, grub and an x600 ATI video card.

Hope you guys can help. Many thanks in advance.

Mod edit:
The images you posted are unfortunately still far too big, see: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … s_and_Code
and https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=61754
I changed your links into quotes. Please edit this post and adjust them accordingly.

Mine re-edit:
I'm fine with plain links - edited those again with "code" tags.

Last edited by izobretenik (2011-09-24 14:28:41)

#2 2011-09-24 15:03:53

stqn
Website

Re: And so I installed Arch... (mate and splashy problems)

avahi is a hard dependency of gnome-vfs and libcups (try "pacman -Qi avahi") and as such almost everyone is garanteed to have this installed, I think... Even if it's useless. You can probably remove the links from the menu though (I don't know how, I don't use Gnome.)

#3 2011-09-24 15:07:03

schalox

I hid those Avahi-apps from XFCE's menu by copying the apps' .desktop-files from /usr/share/applications/ to ~/.local/share/applications/ and adding "NoDisplay=true" to each of those files. I haven't used Gnome, so I'm not sure if that also works in Gnome. If you try it and it doesn't work, you can just remove the .desktop-files you edited to revert the changes. There may be a better way to do this in Gnome, I just used this because AFAIK it's the only way to hide menu entries in XFCE.

#4 2011-09-24 15:41:37

izobretenik

Mkay, thanks. I'll give it a try. I wonder why didn't anyone before me think about separating all that bloatware from what we may need on everyday basis. Seems kinda weird to me.

Last edited by izobretenik (2011-09-25 13:37:03)

#5 2011-09-25 13:37:12

izobretenik

Is Plymouth any better than splashy?

#6 2011-09-25 14:28:02

possiblefool

Gotta admit having the avahi package bugs me also as I have no use for it, for me it was pulled in as a dependancy of cups which is annoying as I dont print from here, but cups is a dependancy of gtk for some reason?! But on the whole Arch is about as good as you're gonna get for bloat without hacking and compiling yourself, this was the first distro I tried that didnt force me to have bluetooth despite a bluetoothless laptop.

I use Plymouth with grub(2) and slim and it works for me (intel gfx), but you'll probably get a cut to a black screen for a second either side of of the plymouth, so how good that looks depends on how fast you boot and what plymouth theme you use. I used fbsplash a while ago, that worked well IIRC, so that may be worth looking into. Either way, be sure to follow the wiki, theres a few steps required to get them working.

#7 2011-09-26 20:16:41

schalox

I don't print either, so I custom build gtk2 with abs. I just to removed libcups from the dependancies and added "--disable-cups" to configure options in the PKGBUILD. Has worked like a charm so far and no more avahi on my system smile

#8 2011-09-26 21:35:02

ANOKNUSA

izobretenik wrote:

Is Plymouth any better than splashy?

Well, Plymouth certainly looks fancier.  As far as splash screens go, on a lightweight system it shouldn't make any difference really.  I think the differences are primarily aesthetic, i.e. Plymouth is intended to take advatage of KMS and high screen resolutions for sprite animation. You can check out a couple custom examples here.

Board footer