You are not logged in.

#751 2014-02-11 06:17:47

xeekei

Re: The Official Unofficial 'Arch is Best' Thread

To me, Arch is the best because it's fast, it's up to date, it's simple, it's all vanilla packages... I also like that I can use either binaries, or source to install everything. Both ways get treated equally. I'm also a fan of systemd. smile Started out on OpenSUSE in 2006, been using Arch Linux since 2011.

#752 2014-02-13 10:24:38

chaonaut

i like arch because it’s an excellent construction kit to (re)build exactly what i need.
LFS is too hard to maintain.
gentoo is too self-oriented.
regular ubuntu-style distros require too much effort to figure out how it all works and leave too little space for customization.
and arch is just well balanced.

— love is the law, love under wheel, — said aleister crowley and typed in his terminal:
usermod -a -G wheel love

#753 2014-02-20 18:10:57

punkrockguy318
Website

Arch has really come a long way over the past decade and I wanted to thank all of the developers, contributors and donors that keep this project continually improving.  I realize that it may be easy to take things for granted so I wanted to take a moment to step back and thank everyone involved (even if only through a bbs thread).  Arch Linux would not exist in its current state today if it wasn't for the efforts of the everyone involved.  If you have contributed to Arch Linux, I want to thank you for your contribution.

Thanks!

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#754 2014-02-20 18:34:19

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

merged punkrockguy318's thread

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#755 2014-02-20 19:48:43

punkrockguy318
Website

thanks; sorry about that

If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.   1 Corinthians 13:2

#756 2014-03-05 15:13:24

TheOldFellow
Website

Got the final thing I needed working today - goodbye Ubuntu forever.  Lots of AUR, but then I'm a bit like that.  Thank you all.

#757 2014-03-18 19:03:05

BradPJ

Originally I loved Arch because I was able to get a system with only applications that I installed and required and the customization options that then open up due to that. Now I love Arch because of how much it has taught me about the actual system I am using. Normally my system boots in around 20 seconds (systemd-analyze, so I understand it is actually longer than this, but this is my benchmark) and recently has been booting in a minute and a half. After some investigating I have dropped my most recent boot back to 16 seconds. The ability to troubleshoot this and get my system running well again is something I never would have been able to achieve had I not started using Arch back in July.

#758 2014-03-18 19:06:07

nomorewindows

Can't find much reason not to use it.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#759 2014-05-16 18:43:02

chaonaut

well, my current definition of arch:
arch is an excellent construction kit for building custom(ized) systems, which offers
• a good platform for automation of building process
reasonable balance of complexity/simplicity
• always having official packages as safe fallbacks.
that's what makes arch unique & the best.

i had a few LFS builds on my boxes from 2003 to 2008, but never managed to handle all those dependencies manually for any long time.
arch build & packaging system filled that lacuna.

— love is the law, love under wheel, — said aleister crowley and typed in his terminal:
usermod -a -G wheel love

#760 2014-05-16 19:35:23

Daerandin

So after having used Arch for about a year now I can safely say that it is without a doubt my number one OS. Once I got into the routine, it is now a simple matter to maintain my own system, make whatever modifications I desire and just have loads of fun playing around with my system.

If I am to nail down exactly what makes Arch so awesome, it would have to be the simplicity. It is exactly what allows me to make my own choices regarding my system. I can so very easily do things my own way without having to work against a pre-configured system.

#761 2014-05-16 20:01:14

chaonaut

yeah, simplicity rules.
it's very easy to make things more complex, but very difficult then to simplify.

usermod -a -G wheel love

#762 2014-05-18 15:47:58

WhereIsTheFloor

Arch user for two days here. Arch just... works. It's fast and does what it needs to.

#763 2014-05-18 21:01:33

ratcheer

I reinstalled Arch a couple of days ago. I have been on Siduction Linux (Debian Sid based) for a long time.

I installed to btrfs RAID-0 two SATA III drive filesystems, one for / and another for /home. I did not do anything about the btrfs hook, but my system is booting and running, perfectly. udev must have handled it.

Arch's systemd implementation is much cleaner than Debian's. Also, Arch is not running those damned 63 console-kit daemons.

I just finished migrating all my data over from my Siduction system. I guess I am ready to install grub on Arch and make it my primary system. I admit that Arch is better, but I still don't feel like an "Arch person". Maybe I will before too long. neutral

Tim

#764 2014-05-18 21:02:36

jwm-art

Been using Arch on my desktop for a few (can't remember) years now. Had installed Crunchbang on parents aging desktop for a year or two, but... package management is just not pretty, and suffers from the old Debian age gap. Installed Arch on there last week. Didn't have an installation disk so had to install from the existing Crunchbang Linux installation, which was unfortunately the exact (and only) partition where I wanted to install Arch Linux.

But because Arch Linux and the Arch Wiki are so self-censoringly fantastic I found instructions to run the installation inside a chroot from an existing Linux installation and install to a reformatted swap partition and once a bootable install setup, rsync it into its permanent home.

And the instructions in the Arch Wiki made it easy relatively straight forward.

The aging PC is now running bang up to date software, looking better than it ever did.... just so I could get my parents new printer up and running. They had been doubtful about it - I had the feeling they had not been impressed with Linux up until now.

Last edited by jwm-art (2014-05-18 21:10:32)

#765 2014-05-18 21:25:56

chaonaut

ratcheer wrote:

I just finished migrating all my data over from my Siduction system. I guess I am ready to install grub on Arch and make it my primary system. I admit that Arch is better, but I still don't feel like an "Arch person". Maybe I will before too long. neutral

never mind, it's ok. it took me about 2 years to feel like an „arch person“, for example.

usermod -a -G wheel love

#766 2014-06-13 08:34:01

Archer61

Took 7 installs to get it right in a dual boot configuration for UEFI systems. Totally worth it.

The first Linux I ever tried was Arch but after 8-9 days I gave up. Then Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, Opensuse, Kali, Opensuse again and finally back to Arch. Just can't live without it. LOVE IT. I actually found others to be more complicated which some of my mates consider odd. You have no idea whats going on in other distros but in Arch you learn a lot quickly.

#767 2014-06-13 10:04:38

pediocore

Arch, for me is the absolute distro. I have tried several distros, Ubuntu, Slackware, Fedora, Puppy and Kali (to name a few) and when i first get my hand on arch last year, I had never hop into other distros again. Since only these few days I've been thinking to emerge into Arch forum and our wide community. Cut it short, I love the 'learning' mechanism of Arch Linux, whenever you do something new, you learn about it. You are learning and gaining always if Arch is your daily computing distro.

Forever, Arch.

Bra 3-1 Cro

#768 2014-06-18 03:23:58

chriseggroll

I've been using Arch since 2007, definitely my favorite by far.  The package management is fantastic and from my experience, far less likely to totally "break" your system on an update (try doing a few "all package" updates on Fedora...).  In the last year or so to be sure, there have been a lot of changes, namely systemd, new boot loaders, and new GUIs that have taken some getting used to, but that is more of an overall Linux growing pain issue. 

I've used Slackware, Mandriva, Fedora, Mint, PC Linux OS, and several other distros and can't find anything I like better.  Even the install is surprisingly simple, well if you have a wired connection and don't go crazy with partitioning!  The Arch Wiki is very helpful and on most issues very detailed as well.  And, I have to say, the speed is amazing!  My boot times/shutdown times with my current setup are around 3 seconds!  Granted, I do have an SSD for root and an Ivy Bridge CPU, I am still impressed every time.  Cheers to Arch, to me the best implementation of Linux to date!

#769 2014-06-23 22:45:08

nonamefantasy

Oh the installation is easy with wifi too. I have never done it wired. smile Just run wifi-menu. I dont forget to install it with the necessery packages.

#770 2014-06-25 12:30:32

chaonaut

btw, arch is the only distro i know that offers human-usable build of enlightenment from official repos.

edit: oh, there is also enlightenment-centric bodhi linux. but arch has newer version smile

Last edited by chaonaut (2014-06-25 17:49:45)

usermod -a -G wheel love

#771 2014-06-27 16:46:35

krzychosan

Hi guys,

My cool Arch newbie story ahead (SPAM)  smile

At beginning I was struggling with any aspect of Arch: Sound, Display, Battery even GUI ...
Then at some point it all started working as I wanted to without any troubles which was an amazing feeling smile

Suddenly after standard update network connection is lost and I don't have any other device to look what could go wrong online.
After half a day lost on unsuccessful attempts to bring wireless connection up  I decided to make a fresh Arch install as dual boot which connected unexpectedly well.
At this point I was thinking like 'WAAT how standard update can cause me so many troubles or broke so important services' while in the background I was downloading 'Linux Mint'.

During burning Linux Mint CD I decided to dig around and I learned how systemd works, what wpa_supplicant and dhcpcd is for and what is wicd / netctl / NetworkManager and how to configure them manually.
When I realized I could analyze and fix this issue in 2 sec with this knowledge I was enlightened(http://catb.org/esr/writings/unix-koans/index.html)

The Arch Way is hard but so much rewarding!

Couldn't stop myself from sharing this story tongue

---------------------

I use wicd as a connection manager.
Don't know why but after systemd update NetworkManager which was disabled became enabled again.
And with 2 network services for the same interface issue is obvious now smile

Last edited by krzychosan (2014-06-27 16:48:25)

#772 2014-06-27 19:48:02

jasonwryan
Forum & Wiki Admin
Website

Welcome to Arch.

Please familiarise yourself with the safety exits. Your lifejacket is under your seat. Refreshments will be served after takeoff. Enjoy the flight.

Merging with the Arch is Best thread...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

#773 2014-06-27 19:58:28

nomorewindows

jasonwryan wrote:

Welcome to Arch.

Please familiarise yourself with the safety exits. Your lifejacket is under your seat. Refreshments will be served after takeoff. Enjoy the flight.

Merging with the Arch is Best thread...

In case of oxygen loss, emergency masks will drop down from above you.  If you are sitting next to a child, put your mask on first, and then assist them with theirs.

I may have to CONSOLE you about your usage of ridiculously easy graphical interfaces...
Look ma, no mouse.

#774 2014-07-30 21:15:46

CrazyTux

If an engine falls off, don't panic, repair it with a LiveCD helicopter, and continue. It's your fault it fell off, anyway.

No really, Arch is just wonderful. I still get these fits of "Why can't it just *work*?" sometimes, but when I had Ubuntu for a month on my new Thinkpad (waiting for the SSD to arrive), I missed Arch. When things don't work, you can fix them. All the wonderful, obscure programs are in the AUR. Ubuntu drove me mad with its inflexibility. Here's a virtual beer to Arch Linux big_smile

#775 2014-08-01 00:35:16

agahnim

A big part of Arch Linux for me is: if you want something done right, do it yourself. I always found it amusing that I had zero issues setting up arch on machines with efi. My new machine for college does not even support legacy bios, and setting up efi like I normally do works with a couple of seconds of configuring it before reboot. The automatic efi support in Mint or Ubuntu just is not as reliable, yet arch works every single time without fail. I threw an SSD in my new ASUS and threw the original drive in a caddy case (wiping that ugly Win 8 off of it first) and a bit later I am up and running as if I had one of my previous machines cloned onto the drive. I have never seen an OS that was so efficient to work with. Once you learn to solve a problem, you are equipped with that knowledge forever. Been using Arch for about a year now, and every day I learn something. All the hardware worked out of the box, touchscreen required zero configuration, optimus worked with the proper drivers and such, and everything is clean and simple. This is the most seamless install of Linux that I have ever done. I don't know if it is my third machine with arch, if support for hardware is just getting better under linux, or a combination of the two, but it is the most flawless, flexible and powerful thing I have ever used. I have three or four people wanting me to teach them how to use Linux once they saw my desktop in action. My university actually hosts arch mirrors, so a lan cable and Pacman -Syu is almost instant, but since when was it not the fastest package manager? XD

Board footer