You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-07 14:22:54

FarmerF

NAS file caching

I am trying to build a home server which will mainly serve as a NAS but also double as a media player for my tv. I will setup a set of disks with btrfs mirroring as storage (not entirely safe I know but I would like to try btrfs and will have a separate backup). A separate smaller disk will be serving as the os disk and as disks of a few gig are either unavailable or relatively expensive I will have a fair bit of spare room. I was wondering if it was feasible to copy a file on access to either ram or the os disk (on a separate partition) and then allow the storage disk to spin down and stream it from either of the aforementioned options. Perhaps even cache the directory structure with meta data so that traversal and simple searches can be done while the disk remains down. Does anyone have any suggestions? Performance is non essential and memory abundant so I would like to save some energy and wear.

On a related note: I would also be interested in an automated way of putting newly added files in a cache on the os disk as they are most likely to be requested.

Any advise or links to relevant projects is much appreciated smile

Last edited by FarmerF (2011-11-07 14:23:31)

Board footer