You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-08 13:01:51

a_m0d

[SOLVED] Unable to get networking working - VBox Guest, Windows 7 Host

I've just completed an install of ArchLinux, using the 2011.08.19 release from the website.  I installed the 64 bit version into a VirtualBox machine, with a fairly standard install - I mostly just followed the defaults, but did select a few extra packages that I knew I would need.

However, now that my install has finished and I have rebooted, I'm unable to connect to the internet correctly.  I've run dhcpd, which was successful in obtaining an IP address.  DNS lookup works correctly, as

ping -c 3 google.com

resolves google.com to 74.125.226.84.  However, I get 100% packet loss, even when pinging a machine on the local network.

Running a

traceroute

only shows my machine - I don't see any other machine name in the list.

I know that networking is possible form this install, because I had another Arch guest previously (until it died with a VBox upgrade) which networked fine.  Unfortunately, I am unable to install any extra packages to help me out, since pacman is unable to download them (although it can find the mirrors), unless there is a way to install extra packages from the installation disk (I'm new to Arch, but I've used fedora extensively in the past).

Any tips on what to do from here?

Last edited by a_m0d (2011-11-08 15:22:22)

#2 2011-11-08 14:10:05

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to get networking working - VBox Guest, Windows 7 Host

About the ping problem, check virtualbox's documentation about icmp passthrough support.
About your problem with pacman, it is probably due to needing to sync the package list from the server, use pacman -Sy or preferably pacman -Syu to bring your system up to date and then install the extra packages you want.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#3 2011-11-08 15:22:01

a_m0d

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to get networking working - VBox Guest, Windows 7 Host

It appears that you have solved my problem.
I just did a clean install (with a few more packages this time), ran

pacman -Sy

which worked, and then was actually able to update / install packages.  This was probably my problem before.
Thanks for your help.

Board footer