You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-15 08:04:39

sanjaydelhi

[SOLVED] New to Arch Linux, Need help in Installation.

Hi,

I am  Ubuntu user for sometime, but I want to migrate to Arch Linux. I need some help. Please note that I am  not Linux Expert but I have been using Ubuntu and OpenSUSE for quite sometime now. The reason for deciding to migrate to Arch Linux is with I need speed.

My laptop configuration is

Dell Vostro 1015 - Intel Dual Core 1.8 GHz  with 2 GB RAM.

I was using Ubuntu 64 bit version.

Here in Arch Linux, I find there are 3 options to download                i686 CPU,    x86-64 CPU,    Dual Architecture

Now which one should I download among x86-64 and Dual Architecture?

Thanks.

Last edited by sanjaydelhi (2011-11-16 15:11:14)

#2 2011-11-15 10:18:13

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] New to Arch Linux, Need help in Installation.

If it's just that one laptop, get the x86_64 iso. If you're likely to install on both 64-bit and 32-bit machines, get the dual architecture one.

Please read the Beginners Guilde in the wiki before asking any more questions.

#3 2011-11-15 13:29:18

sanjaydelhi

tomk wrote:

If it's just that one laptop, get the x86_64 iso. If you're likely to install on both 64-bit and 32-bit machines, get the dual architecture one.

Thank you for help.

tomk wrote:

Suggestion : The information about which download is for what purpose should have been on download page itself because it is not possible to go through whole begginer's guide for small information because of time constraint. Though I went through but I ran a bit quickly and overlooked it.

Anyway thanks.

Last edited by sanjaydelhi (2011-11-15 13:30:08)

#4 2011-11-15 15:07:55

hokasch

Suggestion : The information about which download is for what purpose should have been on download page itself

Links and Instructions -> Readme and Instructions:

Flavors:
--------
* Netinstall images are the preferred install media for Arch Linux.
  You can get up to date packages using these media by connecting to a mirror.
* Core images contain a snapshot of the core repository, which makes them ideal
  for offline installations when no Internet access is available
  to install the base system.  (you can do a netinstall with these also)

Both come in i686, x86_64 or dual variant. The latter contains both and lets you choose
an architecture at boot.

Last edited by hokasch (2011-11-15 15:10:10)

#5 2011-11-15 15:14:44

karol
Archivist

hokasch wrote:

Suggestion : The information about which download is for what purpose should have been on download page itself

Links and Instructions -> Readme and Instructions:

Flavors:
--------
* Netinstall images are the preferred install media for Arch Linux.
  You can get up to date packages using these media by connecting to a mirror.
* Core images contain a snapshot of the core repository, which makes them ideal
  for offline installations when no Internet access is available
  to install the base system.  (you can do a netinstall with these also)

Both come in i686, x86_64 or dual variant. The latter contains both and lets you choose
an architecture at boot.

True, but the 'Description' in the table with links to different BitTorrent downloads already has some info that's in the README, so telling the user what a dual-arch is right on the download page seems reasonable.

#6 2011-11-15 15:36:08

sanjaydelhi

I am user ( rather new user to Arch Linux ). So I explained why I missed the information and made a suggestion. If someone think it is offensive, then I take back suggestion I made. But myself is in software development for long period of time and I always listen to end user's suggestion very carefully and respect his suggestion. That is the way software development is because it is developed to help user not to teach him lessons or rules ( unless user is clearly wrong and I hope just making suggestion I was not wrong)

#7 2011-11-15 15:51:16

karol
Archivist

sanjaydelhi wrote:

I am user ( rather new user to Arch Linux ). So I explained why I missed the information and made a suggestion. If someone think it is offensive, then I take back suggestion I made. But myself is in software development for long period of time and I always listen to end user's suggestion very carefully and respect his suggestion. That is the way software development is because it is developed to help user not to teach him lessons or rules ( unless user is clearly wrong and I hope just making suggestion I was not wrong)

You can open a feature request on the bug tracker to see what the devs think about your suggestion.

#8 2011-11-15 15:56:18

hokasch

sanjaydelhi, nothing wrong with a suggestion!
Please don't take my quick link as offensive either. If you think that info is not clear enough, best way to make suggestions is probably through the bug tracker (it has a category: web site).

#9 2011-11-15 17:04:00

ANOKNUSA

sanjaydelhi wrote:

Hey, sanjaydelhi; welcome to Arch.  No, I don't think your suggestion was offensive, and it doesn't seem anyone else really took offense from it.  Rather, they were just giving you a little intro to The Arch Way.  However, just for future reference: When engaging in any discussion with anyone anywhere on the internet at any time, it's often best to just leave experience and credentials out of the discussion.  I don't mean any offense myself, but claiming to be "in software development" while appearing unfamiliar with hardware architecture comes of as a bit odd. wink  Anyway, take a look through the Beginner's Guide; the first time installing Arch can be daunting, but the Guide will see you through it.  Enjoy!

#10 2011-11-15 19:53:37

sanjaydelhi

Thank you all for welcoming me at Arch Linux!

I was bit worried at the beginning because I tried Fedora before but it has one bug because of which it does not get installed on my laptop.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=255943

I was bit disappointed being not able to use Fedora (both 14 and 15 ) because of this bug.

The reason I got worried because I am new to Arch, as I mentioned I am not Linux expert and Arch is not for beginners( though I consider myself intermediate in Linux but certainly not expert). So I thought if I do not get community support probably I will not be able to use Arch Linux. The reason I got interest in Arch Linux is http://lifehacker.com/5680453/build-a-k … he-process this article. I am not thinking of upgrading my laptop for speed anytime sooner. So I thought of trying Arch Linux.

The reason to post the topic was in most of Linux distros we see two options (x86, AMD_64). I found 3 options at Arch. I just wanted to make sure I am downloading right download.

So I hope I clarified it. smile

ANOKNUSA wrote:

However, just for future reference: When engaging in any discussion with anyone anywhere on the internet at any time, it's often best to just leave experience and credentials out of the discussion.  I don't mean any offense myself, but claiming to be "in software development" while appearing unfamiliar with hardware architecture comes of as a bit odd. wink

You are right. I should not have have brought experience and credentials in discussion. I used to follow hardware architectures but now I have so many other things to follow, so I can not keep up with hardware architectures. I still do not know exact architecture of i3,i5 or i7 processor or any of AMD processors. Thats how it is.

I thank you all for support.

Looking forward to trying Arch Linux.

Thanks

#11 2011-11-15 21:13:21

/dev/zero

sanjaydelhi wrote:

I am user ( rather new user to Arch Linux ). So I explained why I missed the information and made a suggestion ... But myself is in software development for long period of time and I always listen to end user's suggestion very carefully and respect his suggestion. That is the way software development is because it is developed to help user not to teach him lessons or rules ( unless user is clearly wrong and I hope just making suggestion I was not wrong)

That is how the commercial world works. This is not a commercial product. You aren't a customer any of us need to make happy. If you want to change something, change it. If you don't like it, use something else.

#12 2011-11-16 01:28:29

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

sanjaydelhi wrote:
tomk wrote:

Suggestion : The information about which download is for what purpose should have been on download page itself because it is not possible to go through whole begginer's guide for small information because of time constraint. Though I went through but I ran a bit quickly and overlooked it.

The beginner's guide is recommended (some would say required) reading for someone new to Arch, if you don't have the time to go through it I'd suggest holding off installing until you do. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches that way.

When you first start using Arch you should be prepared to invest some time into it. Noone would buy a 1000-piece jigsaw and say "I don't have the time to fix this up, I hope I can frame it out of the box"

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#13 2011-11-16 05:23:40

sanjaydelhi

I never indicated I am not ready to invest time. I just made a suggestion how time can be saved and I have made big clarification of it.

#14 2011-11-16 05:27:15

sanjaydelhi

/dev/zero wrote:

That is how the commercial world works. This is not a commercial product. You aren't a customer any of us need to make happy..

Well it can be a big debate how a software community should be. There are many successful and very fast growing communities around and they are still growing.

/dev/zero wrote:

If you want to change something, change it. If you don't like it, use something else

I have no problem using something else.

Last edited by sanjaydelhi (2011-11-16 05:27:50)

#15 2011-11-16 05:41:21

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Moving to Newbie Corner for now.

But if this is getting into a "software community" discussion it will soon be TGNed.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#16 2011-11-16 07:14:43

hadrons123

new comer is bit strong,of his views.
shall take time to adjust with the community,if he intends to use arch.
The concepts that are followed in arch linux are so foreign to almost all the newbs.

but sanjay, considering you are a software developer,you should have read the wiki first before getting into an argument,with the forum members.

arch linux is not a company, nor does it intend to gather more crowd, which is almost the opposite of whatever  you are expecting here.
its user centeric whereas other distribution are user friendly.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Th … er-centric

this thread has only one way to go from here---> TGN

LENOVO Y 580 IVYBRIDGE 660M NVIDIA
Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#17 2011-11-16 08:27:52

sanjaydelhi

hadrons123 wrote:

but sanjay, considering you are a software developer,you should have read the wiki first before getting into an argument,with the forum members.

I said [bold] I read Beginner's guide but I overlooked the important information[/bold](I don't know how to make this bold) and I just made a suggestion. Now is it me who got into arguments? Is making a suggestion is start of argument? I have one more suggestion even if you do not want to take. Even if it is not commercial product, even if you do not want to gather big crowd, even if Arch has different way than others, but [bold] suggestions should not be seen as a criticism.[/bold]

#18 2011-11-16 08:44:01

hadrons123

sanjay,
if you are not arguing, you could have done this,by this time.

karol wrote:

You can open a feature request on the bug tracker to see what the devs think about your suggestion.

'overlooked' is not equal to 'reading'.arch wiki is the best resource available around.i hope you use it,before you post anymore on this thread.

this thread is already on the waiting list for TGN.

tip:
1. make bold fonts in FluxBB forums

just 'b' not 'bold',within brackets.

2.how to ask questions

Last edited by hadrons123 (2011-11-16 09:20:23)

Unix is user-friendly. It just isn't promiscuous about which users it's friendly with. - Steven King

#19 2011-11-16 11:15:46

Awebb

hadrons123, being here for a little more than a month isn't exactly a good ground for treating new members like that. Your recurring TGN talk goes nowhere, we have mods to decide that. I never believed it, when people said that the Arch bbq is unfriendly towards new people, but now I had the chance to witness that with my own eyes. Now stop playing the smartass, he knows how to ask a question, there was nothing wrong that, he's just not used to a "no" instead of a "maybe" as an aswer to a suggestion… maybe as much as you are not used to the required patience.

@sanjaydelhi: Don't take that stuff too personal. We actually are very friendly, it's just hidden carefully. We (the majority of active Arch board users) have certain habits, when it comes to pointing out the obvious. I'm also feeling entitled to say, that hadrons123 does not speak for all of us, especially when he's drawing the line between user centric/"us" and user friendly/"them". Don't be afraid to suggest things or critisize, people will tell you all the time to read this or that, or read more or search or think for yourself. It's sometimes sad that this behavior is actually beneficial, "we" have to make sure we don't reinvent the wheel every time a newcomer wants to install Arch, as all the information is written down somewhere (and we're so shit proud of that Wiki :-D). We're just used to that stereotype of new user, who does not read anything and wants to be spoon fed. That does obviously not apply to you, as you did your homework before asking here. If they say: "Read A!" tell them "I read A!" and maybe secretly read A again, because in >50% of all cases, it's in A… but often enough it's in an old version of A or in B or probably even in the manfile of D. We generally like a good paperchase, so don't mind if the solution is wrapped in a haiku. Not giving you what you want to know actually follows friendly intentions ;-)

Last edited by Awebb (2011-11-16 11:22:26)

#20 2011-11-16 11:37:43

hadrons123

i am new too, i am not denying it.

1.i was giving him suggestions.if you felt it sounded smartass.i am sorry !

2.i started posting  in this thread right after the moderator said this thread could be a TGN.i was just trying to tell sanjay that few more unwarranted arguments would lead this thread to TGN, in my second post.

3.sanjay asked for help at the beginning of the thread,but then then discussion went in a different direction about the "software community",then the mod came in.

4.user -centric and user-friendly is not my opinion about arch.its what is given in 'arch way'.

5.i thought i was insisting him to read the wiki.i dont know how its unfriendly.

#21 2011-11-16 11:59:28

sanjaydelhi

Thanks Awebb,
No I haven not taken the stuff too personal, I am going to use Arch Linux and I have downloaded it already, I will try on virtual box till I get more familiar and then I will migrate completely.
Thank you.

#22 2011-11-16 13:55:32

karol
Archivist

Can you please mark the thread as solved?

#23 2011-11-16 15:13:55

sanjaydelhi

I don't know if I marked it correctly because I am new here and I could not find answer of "how to mark thread solved in beginner's guide" so I searched on google and did it. hmm

#24 2011-11-16 15:18:44

karol
Archivist

sanjaydelhi wrote:

I don't know if I marked it correctly because I am new here and I could not find answer of "how to mark thread solved in beginner's guide" so I searched on google and did it. hmm

You did it great https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … ow_to_Post

Edit: It's stickied too: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=130309

Last edited by karol (2011-11-16 15:19:51)

#25 2011-12-06 05:40:05

sanjaydelhi

Shifted completely to Arch Linux now. I have three OS , Arch Linux, Ubuntu and Windows XP and Arch is my main distro. It was nice learning experience installing Arch Linux first time. But happy with the speed of Arch Linux. smile

Board footer