You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-15 20:25:18

wantilles

No response from nfs v3 mount requests

I have a LAN, with an nfs v3 server, and several nfs v3 clients.

The clients have entries for mounting into their fstab.

This setup has been working well for many years.

However, since Oct. 31 2011, when a mount request is done on a client nothing happens.

The same if I enter as root:

mount -a -t nfs

Nothing happens, not even an error message. The bash console remains there.

Only option is to press Ctrl+C.

The day the problems started, very few packages were upgraded on the server. Among them, it was glibc, from 2.14-6 -> 2.14.1-1, and although I haven't been able to isolate the problem, I suspect that is the cause for this behaviour.

My gut tells me it might have to do something with DNS resolving, and specifically, with the removal of the glibc-2.14-avoid-assertion-on-empty-dns-answer.patch on this commit:

http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/ … 3e841bb9cc

Any thoughts, feedback, and suggestions on how to fix the issue, would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2011-11-15 22:29:37

alphaniner

Re: No response from nfs v3 mount requests

FWIW:

I have two arch installs.
One serves both nfs and nfs4.  It runs dnsmasq as a dhcp server, and all the nfs shares are over that little private network.  It was last updated on the 31st and got the glibc update.
The second has no problems mounting either type of share manually (no fstab entries involved).  This one is fully up to date.

Also, if you use the verbose flag several times (-vvvv) you might get some useful output.

But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist.
-Lysander Spooner

#3 2011-11-20 01:20:23

b4data

Does explicitly stating

-o 'vers = 3'

help at all?

#4 2011-11-20 13:48:15

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I switched from v3 to v4 months back after an NFS upgrade broke my v3 setup. It should still be possible to use v3, but as b4data says, you will probably need to tell the client (and maybe also the server) explicitly to use v3.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2011-11-25 17:09:10

wantilles

It seems that for some reason unknown to me, the nfs-server daemon does not start properly.

If I do on the server part an:

/etc/rc.d/nfs-server restart

everything then works.

So as a temporary measure, I added this line to rc.local.

Board footer