You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-16 21:15:43

DSpider

[SOLVED] Can you help me become connectible on torrent trackers?

First of all, this doesn't happen on Windows XP and uTorrent 3.0. So I can't blame the ISP, can I ? It's probably a misconfigured setup.

At first I thought maybe it had something to do with Deluge, but using Transmission didn't help either. So I must be missing something...

Can you please help?

I'm using ufw (uncomplicated firewall) with gufw installed, so setting up permissions for ports or port ranges is not that difficult. The problem is that every torrent tracker I try tells me that I'm not connectible. Note that I can download just fine, but only if the torrent is well seeded with plenty of connectible seeders.

Last edited by DSpider (2011-11-18 10:24:48)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#2 2011-11-16 22:41:25

lifeafter2am

Re: [SOLVED] Can you help me become connectible on torrent trackers?

DSpider wrote:

First of all, this doesn't happen on Windows XP and uTorrent 3.0. So I can't blame the ISP, can I ? It's probably a misconfigured setup.

At first I thought maybe it had something to do with Deluge, but using Transmission didn't help either. So I must be missing something...

Can you please help?

I'm using ufw (uncomplicated firewall) with gufw installed, so setting up permissions for ports or port ranges is not that difficult. The problem is that every torrent tracker I try tells me that I'm not connectible. Note that I can download just fine, but only if the torrent is well seeded with plenty of connectible seeders.

Have you tried it without the firewall running to narrow it down to a firewall (or not) issue?

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#3 2011-11-17 22:05:29

DSpider

Same thing without a firewall.

Here is a little snipped from /etc/rc.conf:

#Static IP example
#eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
eth0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(eth0)

Every time the computer reboots I get assigned a new IP. I believe this is called a dynamic IP...

"The dynamic IP address server is generally referred to as the dhcp server." Yup. So therefore I need a static IP, right?

I'm using a PPPoE connection (meaning it requires a username and a password), no modem, no router (well, there probably is a router somewhere in the building but it's probably acting as a switch).

Edit:

Do I need to edit /etc/ppp/peers/your_provider to use "usepeerdns" ? Taken from the PPPoE wiki:

"If you want usepeerdns to work, you have to edit your /etc/ppp/ip-up and add a command that copies /etc/ppp/resolv.conf to /etc/resolv.conf."

... What does that even mean?? Because /etc/resolv.conf contains the correct DNS addresses that "ipconfig /all" shows (from cmd on Windows XP), while /etc/ppp/resolv.conf doesn't even exist !

Here's my /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf: http://pastebin.com/LqM5t8UF

Notice the empty:

DNS1=
DNS2=

Should I add the DNS servers from /etc/resolv.conf ? This is all so very confusing...

Edit #2: Nope. Adding them didn't work.

Last edited by DSpider (2011-11-17 23:17:14)

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2011-11-18 00:06:40

quasifilmie

Have you tried using NetworkManager instead of Network. I cannot say it is better to use but it is definitely less complicated. Have you tried the linux version of utorrent?

#5 2011-11-18 10:21:12

DSpider

NetworkManager works! The wiki was very concise. Thank you.

I didn't know what the "Service" input area was from the DSL tab so I left it blank and it seems to work fine without it. Thanks again.

Edit: Ah, much better now. Getting more connections so it should help with the ratio issues I've been having, for about 18 months now. Wish I did this sooner.

Last edited by DSpider (2011-11-18 10:24:17)

Board footer