You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-26 17:16:44

naxan
Website

NetworkManager Does Not Respect Presence of OpenResolv?

I was excited to see support for OpenResolv support recently added to NetworkManager. However, after installing the openresolv package, I find that NetworkManager is still trying to overwrite /etc/resolv.conf.

Some background on my setup:

I have NetworkManager 0.9.2.0-1 and OpenResolv 3.4.5-1 installed, with OpenResolv configured to write to /etc/resolv.dynamic. I also have a static file /etc/resolv.static, which I maintain by hand. A script in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d creates a symlink from one of these files to /etc/resolv.conf, depending on the network I'm on.

Now, /etc/resolv.dynamic contains a header stating that it's been "Generated by resolvconf", and looks to contain all of the information I'd expect. However, unless I set the immutable bit on /etc/resolv.static, it will eventually get over-written with the following information when linked to /etc/resolv.conf:

# Generated by NetworkManager

That's it - all of the actual data is in /resolv.dynamic (as it should be), but NetworkManager is still trying to write out /etc/resolv.conf. I've looked around online and in the forums, but can't find anyone with a similar problem, and all of the documentation I've seen suggests that this setup should "just work".

Anyone run into a similar issue? Is there some additional setup to get NetworkManager to talk only through OpenResolv that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

For I dipt into the future, far as human eye could see,
Saw the Vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be...

Board footer