You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-14 19:42:34

daba

Wireless will not receive any incoming traffic.

I have strange problems with wifi on my laptop and am looking for help. My wifi used to work just fine, but suddenly it stopped working correctly. The last thing I did of any significance that might impact wireless functionality was a system upgrade this afternoon including a kernel update. This might have caused this issue, but I am not sure. I actually believe I did a reboot and was still able to connect to wifi without problems just then. But I might be wrong and didn't actually reboot.

However, I use netcfg and net-auto-wireless to setup my wifi connection. I does not make any difference if I let net-auto-wireless setup my connection or use netcfg manually. The wifi device is configured and goes up. It will find my network and connect to it. It will even get an IP address assigned through DHCP. No problems until here. However, I cannot connect to any host on my local network nor on the internet and I will not receive any ping replies from my local network or the internet. However, starting up wireshark on another host on my network reveals that it actually receives the echo requests from my laptop and will reply to them. However, I never receive any of those replies on my laptop. I fired up tcpdump to see if I receive anything at all on my laptop. No trace of icmp echo replies. I do receive messages to brodcast addresses though. But that's all I ever receive. I checked the dhcp lease table and the MAC address is correct. I checked the arp cache on both hosts and the MAC addresses are correct. I checked the routing table on both hosts and it looks fine. I do not have iptables or any other firewall system configured. I'm able to connect to wifi with another device without issues. I am even able to connect my laptop to the network through ethernet without problems. I really don't know what's going on.

Anyone any sugesstions? I'll happily provide configurations and outputs if anything is needed.

Regards,
Daniel

#2 2011-12-14 23:26:53

daba

Re: Wireless will not receive any incoming traffic.

I just downgraded to Kernel 3.1.4-1-ARCH which fixed the problem. There must be some issue in the 3.1.5-1-ARCH Kernel.

#3 2011-12-15 10:03:09

Pierre_Buard
Website

I had a similar problem with NetworkManager and the iwlagn module when using kernel 3.1.5-1. NM kept asking for the access point password without connecting. Downgrading was the solution.

#4 2011-12-15 19:41:02

daba

@Pierre_Buard: This looks like exactly the issue you are describing. If this has anything to do with what I encountered, I do not know though.
@Irenge: Maybe you should open a new thread, I dont think your issue is related to this in any way.

#5 2011-12-15 19:51:11

fsckd
Forum Fellow

mod action: I split Irenge' post into a new thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=131957

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#6 2012-01-04 20:36:59

daba

Just for sake of completeness: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=132901
The suggested workaround solved my problem for now.

#7 2012-01-05 08:44:54

ZekeSulastin

Also for sake of completeness, https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27581 (tldr: iwlagn + 802.11n = stay at linux 3.1.4 or recompile module w/ patch)

Board footer