You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-19 09:02:12

Arrakis11

[SOLVED] dhcpcd problem after -Syu

Hi,
after updating my system with 'pacman -Syu' and a restart at the next day, my w-lan couldn't get an IP address anymore.
I tried it with an ethernet cabel too, no problems there.
As I saw in the pacman log, there was no upgrade of dhcpcd or any other ethernet-related packages. So I have no idea what to do now? Can you guys help me please? smile
Thanks in advance. Just tell me what information you need.

Last edited by Arrakis11 (2011-12-20 20:25:03)

#2 2011-12-19 09:09:30

/dev/zero

Re: [SOLVED] dhcpcd problem after -Syu

Did you try turning it off and on again?

Synch to a different server roll

#3 2011-12-19 10:39:17

Arrakis11

I did.... roll

#4 2011-12-19 12:59:12

caesar753

which network manager do you use? Networkmanager or wicd? is the wifi card correctly load (try to see syslog and kernel.log)?

#5 2011-12-19 18:52:51

Arrakis11

I use wicd. The wifi card is loaded correctly, Authentification works, just the 'getting IP' part....

#6 2011-12-19 18:52:58

/dev/zero

Arrakis11 wrote:

I did.... roll

Well then maybe you should supply us with all the information on what trouble shooting you've already tried. I know people around here are pretty awesome, but still I think no one has telepathy.

#7 2011-12-19 19:19:19

Arrakis11

Well then maybe you should supply us with all the information on what trouble shooting you've already tried. I know people around here are pretty awesome, but still I think no one has telepathy.

As I said in my first post, I will provide all information you need.
But hey, just ignore this thread if you can't say something useful. No one is interested in your arrogant and useless comments mr. wannabe-pro... (and please - no reply on that)...

#8 2011-12-19 19:26:46

bananagranola
Website

I don't think /dev/zero is being useless and arrogant...for example, what do you mean the "getting IP" part? What commands have you tried using? What does "iwconfig" say? We can't know any of that; only you can. And clearly you've already tried some things to try to diagnose the problem yourself (you mentioned that the wifi card is loaded correctly and authentication works); what were they?

#9 2011-12-19 19:33:52

/dev/zero

bananagranola wrote:

I don't think /dev/zero is being useless and arrogant...

No, I am being arrogant. That is allowed, and indeed beneficial. I share the view of Eric S Raymond:

"Community standards do not maintain themselves: They're maintained by people actively applying them, visibly, in public."
- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I do object to being called useless ;-)

Arrakis11 wrote:

As I said in my first post, I will provide all information you need.

Okay. Information we need is: what debugging have you already tried?

You could have kind of pre-empted this request. Do you want help or not?

Last edited by /dev/zero (2011-12-19 20:01:07)

#10 2011-12-19 21:15:48

Arrakis11

No, I am being arrogant. That is allowed, and indeed beneficial. I share the view of Eric S Raymond:

"Community standards do not maintain themselves: They're maintained by people actively applying them, visibly, in public."
- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

I do object to being called useless ;-)

Sure it is allowed to be arrogant. But it is it necessary in such a thread?
I see, you share a great view of those things...

I see the main purpose of a community and a forum like this - getting help and helping others.
(requires a piece of respect to other ppl, because a community contains experts and noobs. If noob questions are too easy for you - ignore them.)
An other point is to keep threads simple and on-topic, which makes them re-usable.

Whatever, back to topic:

Okay. Information we need is: what debugging have you already tried?

As I have no clue about this problem, I have no idea where to start.
I'm facing that kind of problem the first time. I'm confused, because dhcpcd works with eth0...

#11 2011-12-19 21:49:37

/dev/zero

Arrakis11 wrote:

Sure it is allowed to be arrogant. But it is it necessary in such a thread?

It is necessary exactly in threads like this. From all you're showing us, you're either sitting on your laurels without even trying, or else if you are trying, you're not saying what you've tried. Either way, you're screwing up your own chances of having this resolved quickly.

Arrakis11 wrote:

I see the main purpose of a community and a forum like this - getting help and helping others.

This isn't your personal lounge or help desk. I like helping, but I can't give effective help if every noob feels free to come in with some attitude like they're entitled to have everyone running around waving magic wands for them.

The expectations of the community are fairly clear: "do your research and provide details for those you are asking for assistance."

Arrakis11 wrote:

(requires a piece of respect to other ppl, because a community contains experts and noobs. If noob questions are too easy for you - ignore them.)

How would I know whether your question is too easy? You didn't provide enough info. It does smell like some of the other recent threads about how updating with pacman breaks particular packages. In that case, I would expect you to at least try the same solution they did.

Arrakis11 wrote:

An other point is to keep threads simple and on-topic, which makes them re-usable.

You barely have a topic. You haven't provided enough information to let anyone be on-topic. I doubt anyone wants to re-use your non-existent information.

Arrakis11 wrote:

As I have no clue about this problem, I have no idea where to start.
I'm facing that kind of problem the first time. I'm confused, because dhcpcd works with eth0...

This contradicts what you said, when you said: "I did.... roll" - that response implies that you have tried synching to different server to your default one, which implies that you have started looking for a solution, which implies you're not telling us everything.

#12 2011-12-19 23:56:41

ZekeSulastin

If you're using an Intel wireless card to connect to an 802.11n access point, it's a known bug: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27581 - you can wait for an official update, downgrade linux to 3.1.4, or recompile your kernel with the patch from the linked RedHat bug.

Last edited by ZekeSulastin (2011-12-19 23:57:43)

#13 2011-12-20 16:15:43

Arrakis11

If you're using an Intel wireless card to connect to an 802.11n access point, it's a known bug: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27581 - you can wait for an official update, downgrade linux to 3.1.4, or recompile your kernel with the patch from the linked RedHat bug.

Yes, that's exactly the problem. After a downgrade everything worked fine again. Thank you for providing the information. I thought already that it must be something about the kernel, because there was no other really affecting updated.

@/dev/zero: simply no comment to you. It seems that you prefer to spend your time in 'superintelligent' statements instead of doing real help. If you want a further talk to me about basic-attitudes, then write me a personal message.

Last edited by Arrakis11 (2011-12-20 16:16:52)

#14 2011-12-20 17:22:16

ZekeSulastin

Don't forget to mark the thread topic [SOLVED] wink

#15 2011-12-31 20:41:36

ZekeSulastin

Just bumping this, as the fresh 3.1.6 kernel in the repos still has the issue and you still need to hold your kernel at 3.1.4 or recompile the kernel with the patch now linked twice in the bug report: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/27581

Have a nice day!

Last edited by ZekeSulastin (2011-12-31 20:41:52)

Board footer