You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-20 08:26:51

Never

[UNSOLVED] Pacman Update with ERROR to ramfs/

So before I begin some back story, I had some issues getting Archlinux on my system as I required the use of kernel options that use ide-legacy noapic and apci=off.  That headache was addressed here. A recent pacman -Syu generated this error when I rebooted my system:

ERROR: Unable to determine major/minor number of root device
'/dev/disk/by-uuid/3fl6d149-00108-43de-9625-7ffde5357a60'
You are being dropped to a recovery shell
Type 'exit' to try and continue
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[ramfs/]# 

So I read this about major/minor boot and how to change your root and what .pacnew files are and how they had potentially contributed to this.  My system has 3 hard drives and a CD-ROM, all IDE, the last two drives are part of a vml2, the first is broken into 4 partitions:

hda1 boot
hda2 swap
hda3 arch
hda4 user account folders

Again because of my IDE issue I need to rely on 2.6.22 - arch to give myself a prompt that allows me to perform the instructions in the Change_Root wiki, I did:

mkdir /mnt/arch
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/arch
cd /mnt/arch
mount -t proc proc proc/
mount -t sysfs sys sys/
mount -o bind /dev dev/
mount /dev/hda1 boot/
chroot . /bin/bash

FATAL: Kernel too old

With nano I tried 'disablehooks=autodetect, that didn't work, I tried altering the grub menu that I found in some other post, that also didn't work. Since all my files are there and the partitions seem stable and the grub loads up, I think I need to roll back the kernel, but when I searched for that I got less of a clear outline of what to do. So, before I do anything else that would get me into more trouble, I thought I would come and see if anyone could provide me with some insight as to what to do, bear in mind that current live linux CDs cannot be used because of the ide-legacy noapic apci=off issue, and 2.6.22- arch will not recognize current pacman files, thank you.

Last edited by Never (2011-12-21 06:02:10)

#2 2011-12-20 08:53:23

karol
Archivist

Re: [UNSOLVED] Pacman Update with ERROR to ramfs/

#3 2011-12-20 18:43:12

Never

So, what I should do is all the stuff I did before, but do the things posted here about changing my kernel, but use 2.6.22? Then

chroot . /bin/bash
grep -v rootfs /proc/mounts > /etc/mtab
source /etc/profile

Then I move my mirrorlist.pacnew to mirrorlist, pacman -Syyu, yaourt -C, then

exit
umount {proc,sys,dev,boot...}
cd ..
umount arch/

restart and I should be ok to go?

#4 2011-12-21 06:01:30

Never

Well that didn't work and I needed to have ABS installed from before, man this system is a headache all these outs that are only options if you had them installed before hand.

Board footer