You are not logged in.

#1 2011-12-26 23:09:47

ioos

Can I make an Archlinux Wiki Android app?

Ok, so I know that I can make it, but can I release it in the app store (for free)? Can I use the name? What about the logo? I'm sure this is information that's available, but I must not be searching on the correct terms. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

To provide some context, I'm just getting into Android development and would hopefully be an easy enough first app. (I've already made a Wikipedia reader for myself.) Also, I know that you can just point the browser to the wiki, but hardware integration is nice. Plus it seems like the times that I really need to use the wiki (something big is broken) I end up accessing it from my phone. It seems like a natural fit.

#2 2011-12-26 23:17:41

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Can I make an Archlinux Wiki Android app?

A assume you have seen Arch's trademark policy

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-12-26 23:41:31

ioos

That's what I was looking for! It's clear that I would need to include the "TM" if the logo is used, but I'm having trouble determining if I can use the logo.

"you may use the trademark in a way which indicates the intent of your product"

This means that I can use the name "Arch Linux Wiki Reader", correct? I can make sure that the user understands that it's not an official application.

#4 2011-12-27 00:11:17

ewaller
Administrator

ioos wrote:

This means that I can use the name "Arch Linux Wiki Reader", correct? I can make sure that the user understands that it's not an official application.

Although I moderate the Arch Linux forums, and my actions reflect on Arch Linux, I am not in a position to speak on behalf of Arch Linux.  That said; Yes, I think your interpretation is correct.  In making that assertion, I qualify that with your statement that the project would be free.  In this context of free, I assume you mean non-commercial.  Of course, free, as in freedom would be better, but I don't want to start channeling RMS. 

IANAL. I look forward to seeing the app.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2011-12-29 20:27:46

MorningWood

I just want to say that I cannot wait to see this app!

#6 2012-01-23 21:22:09

twelveeighty

MorningWood wrote:

I just want to say that I cannot wait to see this app!

+1

Is there an update on this, or are we just too impatient?

#7 2012-01-24 03:27:16

MikeEnIke

Yea, I would love to see this.

#8 2012-02-02 01:09:51

ioos

The update is that I haven't made much progress on it yet. The problem is that unlike Wikipedia, our wiki doesn't have a mobile site. It's a lot easier to start with a stripped down site. However, now that I see there's some interest, I'll get to work on figuring it out.

#9 2012-02-02 03:26:41

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

If you want a stripped down version, take a look at the arch-wiki-docs package.  Applying custom CSS would go a long way towards 'mobilizing' the layout.

And if you want to see how to really strip it down and make the whole thing fit in 12MB, take a look at arch-wiki-lite.

#10 2012-02-03 04:28:40

ioos

Thanks. It hadn't occurred to me to download the wiki and make the app available offline. That might work... Although I would probably have to use the lite version to keep it small enough. keenerd, did you create the lite docs? Can I redistribute the contents of that package?

#11 2012-02-04 00:40:08

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

The light version is the same as the normal offline version, same licensing.  But you probably don't want to reuse -lite, because it is laid out for easy reading in the shell.  No links, no styling, formatted for fixed-width fonts.  It would be a real pain on a touch screen phone.

#12 2012-02-04 01:26:45

karol
Archivist

keenerd wrote:

It would be a real pain on a touch screen phone.

You could name it 'hArchcore version lite' ;P

#13 2012-02-04 22:51:31

ioos

keenerd wrote:

The light version is the same as the normal offline version, same licensing.  But you probably don't want to reuse -lite, because it is laid out for easy reading in the shell.  No links, no styling, formatted for fixed-width fonts.  It would be a real pain on a touch screen phone.

I was thinking of a console theme. Give it that "Arch Linux" feel wink

The largest problem would be adding links. That might be a deal breaker

Otherwise, I'm thinking maybe I could compress the wiki-docs then pull each individual file as it's needed.

#14 2012-02-05 12:48:59

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

I think you should develop a version for inclusion in the apple app store and change $10 for it wink

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

Board footer