You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-01 20:49:05

broken pipe

strange wireless issue

hi all,

after starting my thinkpad edge 520 this morning i couldn't access the internet. i thought it would be the access point but it wasn't, because my phone and other working devices are connected to the internet over it.

the laptop itself can connect to to the access point and also gets an ip from the router.
i can ping, ssh all devices, iwscan, but i can't access the internet via any browser, pacman etc.

but what is really strange: i can ping google.com and the address gets resolved down to the ip address. so dns seems to work. entering the ip into the browser also works (i'm using chromium).

any idea? i'm on the latest kernel but i had no problems so far. i also searched the forums, blacklisting ath9k was one  proposal but the thinkpad has an intel chipset and wireless seems to work as far as this dns (?) error.

best regards

#2 2012-02-02 13:32:06

veox
Website

Re: strange wireless issue

Sounds strange indeed. One thing with Intel drivers is that they've switched to a new stack in the kernel recently. If you were using 'iwlagn', you're probably now using 'iwlwifi'.

But since your wireless card works, this is probably a system configuration issue. There are two involved, you laptop's and your router's.

Do you use Gnome, KDE or the like? Do you use localhost proxies?

What is the exact way that fails and how do you know it failed? Since you can ping google.com and access it with a HTTP browser putting in the IP, I wouldn't say you can't access the internet. wink By the way, what DNS servers does your browser use?

Last edited by veox (2012-02-02 13:32:36)

#3 2012-02-02 15:15:59

Gusar

Re: strange wireless issue

veox wrote:

Sounds strange indeed. One thing with Intel drivers is that they've switched to a new stack in the kernel recently. If you were using 'iwlagn', you're probably now using 'iwlwifi'.

They didn't switch stacks, it's the exact same driver, just renamed. That said, it does have some bugs in the latest kernels. Try the patch attached here: http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux … 00938.html

Board footer