You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-10 20:25:15

phobossion

[SOLVED] GNOME won't start properly

Hello,
I have just started with Arch and already encountered a newbie problem neutral I installed Arch ok using the beginner's guide, the base system is ok, I got up to the point of installing desktop environment (GNOME3 is my choice). I installed mesa, drivers, X etc and Gnome ofc. I added "... dbus gdm..." into DAEMONS array and rebooted. The blue Gnome wallpaper shows normally but the login window is not the usual black Shell one, but grey old-looking instead (fallback mode?). I've got only the ugly X's clock cursor but I can click on my user's name and login. However, nothing appears, just the same blue background and the clock cursor sad

Anyone has an idea what I might be doing wrong? Thanks

Last edited by phobossion (2012-02-11 09:29:09)

#2 2012-02-10 22:56:32

oboedad55

Re: [SOLVED] GNOME won't start properly

phobossion wrote:

Hello,
I have just started with Arch and already encountered a newbie problem neutral I installed Arch ok using the beginner's guide, the base system is ok, I got up to the point of installing desktop environment (GNOME3 is my choice). I installed mesa, drivers, X etc and Gnome ofc. I added "... dbus gdm..." into DAEMONS array and rebooted. The blue Gnome wallpaper shows normally but the login window is not the usual black Shell one, but grey old-looking instead (fallback mode?). I've got only the ugly X's clock cursor but I can click on my user's name and login. However, nothing appears, just the same blue background and the clock cursor sad

Anyone has an idea what I might be doing wrong? Thanks

Please post your rc.conf. Also, which video card and drivers and how did you install Gnome?

Registered Linux user #436067

#3 2012-02-11 05:15:16

phobossion

Well I don't know how to get to the terminal because I'm stuck with the gnome wallpaper so I can't post exactly the contents of that file but IIRC I chnged only one thing from the stock rc.conf and that is the DAEMONS array as described in my first post. I installed gnome as described on the wiki: install the four X packages, then gnome and gnome-extra, add gdm into rc.conf reboot...

EDIT: I have aspire one d257 netbook so I used xf86-video-intel driver

Last edited by phobossion (2012-02-11 05:32:10)

#4 2012-02-11 09:28:55

phobossion

Board footer