You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-19 19:39:00

Agkel0s

Automatic network shares mounting [XFCE / Thunar]

Hi.

I'm having some problems with my network shares. I have a NAS Server with some network shares and I installed smbclient and gvfs-smb as the Wiki recommends for XFCE/Thunar users. I was able to access those shares in Thunar with the share path ( smb://hostname/sharename ), and using my credentials.

But, my intention was to automount the shares at startup. I tried the methods suggested in the Wiki, but none worked. They simply don't appear anywhere. I have to use the share path directly in Thunar to acess them. For example, when using smbnetfs, after starting the daemon, the shares were supposed to be automatically mounted under /mnt/smbnet, but no luck.

Any ideias?

Thanks in advance,

Agkel0s

Last edited by Agkel0s (2012-03-19 19:40:06)

#2 2012-03-19 22:59:09

allen875
Website

Re: Automatic network shares mounting [XFCE / Thunar]

simple idea, bookmark the location in thunar so you don't have to type it all the time.

#3 2012-03-20 08:18:02

Duka

I'm using thunar to access smb shares too. Try adding this to your /etc/fstab:

//path_to_smb_share /path_to_mount_point cifs credentials=/path_to_credentials,uid=username 0 0

Credentials file contains username and password you use to access the share in this format:

Username
Password

After adding that line to fstab, use

mount -a

to mount all entries in /etc/fstab.
Hope that helped. If not, read this.

Cthulhu Fhtagn!

#4 2012-03-20 09:31:05

zenlord
Website

I use networkmanager to do this for me. Search the wiki for dispatcher-recipes and you will find it easy to mount those share depending on the SSID of the network your connecting to. That way your computer will not try to mount those shares when you're connected to another SSID. Security++

#5 2012-03-20 15:12:07

Agkel0s

Thanks for all your quick answers.

allen875 wrote:

simple idea, bookmark the location in thunar so you don't have to type it all the time.

Yes. In the time being I use that. Created a bookmark and a desktop shortcut. And when I acess the shares, I input my credentials. But preferably I would like the shares to be automatically mounted at startup, in a way that I wouldn't need to try to access/mount every time I need them, and input credencials.
And I would like that because of two things: I have shortcuts (in my home folder) to some folders in the network share, things that I use quite a lot. And at every startup, those shortcuts become useless, because the share isn't mounted. That and the fact that I store all my media files in that shares, and everytime i start my media players, the library is empty and I need to scan it all over again.

Also, after a while the share becomes unavailable.

Duka wrote:

I'm using thunar to access smb shares too. Try adding this to your /etc/fstab:

//path_to_smb_share /path_to_mount_point cifs credentials=/path_to_credentials,uid=username 0 0

Credentials file contains username and password you use to access the share in this format:

Username
Password

After adding that line to fstab, use

mount -a

to mount all entries in /etc/fstab.
Hope that helped. If not, read this.

Thanks, I'll try it.

zenlord wrote:

I use networkmanager to do this for me. Search the wiki for dispatcher-recipes and you will find it easy to mount those share depending on the SSID of the network your connecting to. That way your computer will not try to mount those shares when you're connected to another SSID. Security++

Thanks. I'll have a look on that wiki page.

I'll post when I have some results,
Agkel0s.

Board footer