You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-26 21:47:22

JHeaton

[Solved] bitlbee/skype connection trouble

Hi all, been trying to solve this problem for a while now but to no avail, there doesn't appear to be much out there that offers any hints for where to look. I'm trying to get bitlbee, irssi and Skype working together, but every time I try to connect my Skype account, I just get connection time-outs or messages telling me it's unable to connect:

22:15 -!- mode/&bitlbee [-C] by root
22:15 <@root> Password accepted, settings and accounts loaded
22:15 <@root> Trying to get all accounts connected...
22:15 <@root> skype - Logging in: Connecting
22:15 -!- mode/&bitlbee [+C] by root
22:17 <@root> skype - Login error: Connection timeout
22:17 <@root> skype - Logging in: Signing off..
22:17 <@root> skype - Logging in: Reconnecting in 5 seconds...

22:25 -!- mode/&bitlbee [-C] by root
22:25 <@root> Password accepted, settings and accounts loaded
22:25 <@root> Trying to get all accounts connected...
22:25 <@root> skype - Logging in: Connecting
22:25 <@root> skype - Login error: Could not connect to server
22:25 <@root> skype - Logging in: Signing off..
22:25 <@root> skype - Logging in: Reconnecting in 5 seconds..
22:25 -!- mode/&bitlbee [+C] by root
22:25 <@root> skype - Logging in: Connecting
22:25 <@root> skype - Login error: Could not connect to server
22:25 <@root> skype - Logging in: Signing off..
22:25 <@root> skype - Logging in: Reconnecting in 15 seconds..
22:26 <@root> skype - Logging in: Connecting
22:26 <@root> skype - Login error: Could not connect to server
22:26 <@root> skype - Logging in: Signing off..
22:26 <@root> skype - Logging in: Reconnecting in 45 seconds..

Now, I have skyped set up and running on the machine, skype4py is authorised in the Public API tab of Skype, using the default port etc. but whether I connect from a remote machine or the same one, it just times out. Strangely, when I try to run skyped -l for logging, it just shows me the help message. hmm As far as I can tell, it has executed just fine as it gives no errors. The username is correct, as is the password I'm using. I've generated the necessary certificates, as per this guide.

$ skyped
skyped is started on port 2727, pid: 635

I can't find any log files to check for this so I'm a little bit lost as to what to do next. I can use bitlbee to connect to MSN no problem, so I don't think that's the issue. I imagine it's to do with skyped, but I don't really know how to check, so if anyone could provide any advice on the matter I would appreciate it. Even just a pointer in the right direction would help immensely. Hopefully one of my fellow Archers has this working. smile

Last edited by JHeaton (2012-04-01 15:16:36)

#2 2012-03-27 03:55:08

pshevtsov

Re: [Solved] bitlbee/skype connection trouble

Hello JHeaton!

I had the same problems.

First of all make sure that that both skype and skyped are running:

ps ax | grep skype

If they're not running than try to start skyped with --nofork option (don't run as daemon in the background). So you can see if there are any errors (in my case some python libs were missing) and this can give you information on how it can be fixed.

Hope that helps.

#3 2012-03-27 08:37:47

JHeaton

Hi pshevtsov, thank you for the reply. I checked and although skyped was starting Skype, it was not continuing to run so I tried it with --nofork as you said and I got this error message (this also appears to be the error shown in the latest comment on the AUR page for skype4py).

[joel@glitch ~]$ skyped -n
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/skyped", line 120, in skype_idle_handler
    skype.skype.SendCommand(c)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Skype4Py/skype.py", line 778, in SendCommand
    self._Api.send_command(Command)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Skype4Py/api/posix_dbus.py", line 207, in send_command
    result = self.skype_out.Invoke(cmd)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'Invoke'
Exiting.
[joel@glitch ~]$

I don't really know enough Python to work out how to sort this issue out and can't seem to find anything on the Sourceforge project page in terms of troubleshooting. hmm

#4 2012-03-28 10:01:59

pshevtsov

Hello,

I played a little with Skype4Py on fresh Arch installation, updated the package in the AUR with missing dependencies.
I also got the same error as you did, and I did the following too workaround it:
I started skype as normal user, agreed with license agreement, provided my user name and password and checked "Sign me in when Skype starts"
After that I quited skype and started skyped, skype started, logged in and showed the message "Another program wants to use Skype", I checked "Remember this selection" and clicked "Yes" to allow Skype4Py connect to Skype API.

Probably this should be put to wiki?

#5 2012-03-28 13:15:39

JHeaton

I already had Skype4Py in the allowed programs list for the public API.

After a reboot, launching skyped with --nofork now seems to work fine (certainly, it gives no error) however I am still unable to connect with bitlbee, getting the "could not connect to server" error. I've double-checked all my details and as far as I can tell, should work fine.

#6 2012-04-01 15:16:25

JHeaton

So, after all that, I found that there was a leading space in the name of one of the SSL certificate files in my .skyped folder that I had overlooked until now. It works perfectly now that that has been resolved.

Thanks again for your help, pshevtsov. smile

Board footer