You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-04 11:18:33

quayasil

Defining a few network interfaces?

One thing that in Gentoo was simpler... or better documented. What's the simplest/recommended way of defining two interfaces (let's say: `eth0' and `eth1'), assigning each one a set of static routes and setting forward?
Gentoo's `/etc/conf.d/network' was self explanatory.
In Arch it seems to be completely undocumented.
I guess I need: `net.ipv4.ip_forward' sysctl for forwarding.
How about defining interfaces and routes?
Does `/etc/rc.conf' allow defining a few interfaces?
Is any simpler way than using netcfg? Is there any comprehensive documentation (not a set of examples) on all `/etc/network.d/*' file options?
How can I automatically set two addresses for `eth0'?
Best regards,
/m

#2 2012-04-04 11:29:43

Gcool

Re: Defining a few network interfaces?

* To enable forwarding, the easiest way is indeed to add "net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1" to /etc/sysctl.conf
* /etc/rc.conf only allows one interface to be defined in it. For using multiple interfaces, using netcfg and have the profiles auto-activate during boot is your best bet indeed.
* Static routes and multiple ip's per interface can also be defined in the netcfg profile.

Burninate!

#3 2012-04-04 11:34:57

quayasil

Thanks,

Gcool wrote:

* Static routes and multiple ip's per interface can also be defined in the netcfg profile.

May I ask for any example (for two IPs per eth0)?

-> Is there any comprehensive documentation (not a set of examples) on all `/etc/network.d/*' file options?

#4 2012-04-04 12:00:24

Gcool

Have a look at this thread. It contains some good examples on how to set it up (in essence you just add ip commands in your netcfg profile).

Documentation wise, there's the netcfg and ip manpage. But I agree that perhaps the wiki could use some expanding on the subject. I'll see if I can add some info to the netcfg wiki page about this (won't be getting around to that until tonight or tomorrow though).

Burninate!

#5 2012-04-04 13:01:02

quayasil

Thanks!

Board footer