You are not logged in.

#51 2012-04-23 00:00:55

ArchiMark

Re: [SOLVED] Installd Arch -But Can't Get X Runn'g-HowToSetupNetConn?

Working on trying to get some network profiles setup in netcfg.

I want to have the following profiles to use:

1.  ethernet-dhcp 

- I want to use at home or other places

2.  ethernet-static 

- Been using a static IP address setup to connect to my network where I work with Arch. Although with most other OS's; Windows, Mac, etc, I have not needed to do this, just  connected and it worked...

3. wireless-WPA

To use on my home wifi network, need to enter WPA password.

4. wireless-wpa-config 

To use either when I want to connect to the guest wifi network at my workplace or other companies I visit that have guest networks.

At my company, the guest network is similar to what you find in some public places such as airports, etc. You have to open your web browser and you get a page that you have to click on some acceptance of terms and submit. Then you are connected to the internet.

At some companies I visit, you have to enter a password in a network connection window, not in a web browser.

From reading the netcfg wiki page, it appears you start setting this up by copying one of the example files in '/etc/network.d/examples/ to '/etc/network.d' and editing it.

One thing I'm not clear about is if I start with using the example 'ethernet-dhcp' file, do  I

A) add the other connections I've listed above to that same file and then later I select which one I want to use from netcfg

or

B) copy other example files for the other connection types I listed above and edit them and end up with for network profile files in '/etc/network.d' and select which one I want to use at a given time

or

C) ????

Thanks for any clarifications.

Silicon Valley Digerati & Arch Noob
Arch Linux: Fujitsu U820
ArchLinuxARM: Sharp Zaurus SL-C3200

#52 2012-04-23 00:53:10

skunktrader

Copy /etc/network.d/examples/ethernet-dhcp to /etc/network.d/home
Copy /etc/network.d/examples/ethernet-static to /etc/network.d/work
Edit /etc/network.d/work to suit your network
Remove network and insert net-profiles in your DAEMONS array and set NETWORKS to menu.

When you boot, a menu will be displayed allowing you to select work or home depending on which network you want to connect to.  Anytime you want to switch to a different network just run netcfg-menu in a terminal.
Tweak settings and add additional profiles as required.

Last edited by skunktrader (2012-04-23 00:55:13)

#53 2012-04-23 01:46:29

ArchiMark

skunktrader wrote:

Copy /etc/network.d/examples/ethernet-dhcp to /etc/network.d/home
Copy /etc/network.d/examples/ethernet-static to /etc/network.d/work
Edit /etc/network.d/work to suit your network
Remove network and insert net-profiles in your DAEMONS array and set NETWORKS to menu.

When you boot, a menu will be displayed allowing you to select work or home depending on which network you want to connect to.  Anytime you want to switch to a different network just run netcfg-menu in a terminal.
Tweak settings and add additional profiles as required.

Thanks as always for your detailed help!

So, tried the above....

However, when I rebooted and then did startx and opened up LXDE, there was no menu displayed...

So, in terminal I did:

#netcfg-menu
> No profiles were found in /etc/network.d/

UPDATE - Fixed

I moved the ethernet-static and ethernet-dhcp files to the network.d directory and now it works!

I get the menu window when I boot up....

Now, need to get my various wifi connections setup....

BOOT UP

I still see one error message when I boot up, something like this:

ioremap error for 0x3f...

UPDATE - Potential Fix

Per this this thread I found

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 0#p1091440

think I now understand source of this error message:

sano wrote:

I also get these messsages, but so far I didn't notice any problems (well, apart from having to deal with this very basic gma3600 driver).

I know that the driver for gma500/3xxx chipsets changed from psb_gfx to gma500 lately, so if you have anything related to your graphic card left over from the old kernel in rc.conf, modprobe.conf, mkinitcpio.conf, you should remove it.

So, will check these files for any references to old driver and delete them....

Thanks.

Last edited by ArchiMark (2012-04-23 16:41:51)

#54 2012-04-23 06:52:23

DSpider

My god, newbie! Three pages for hand-holding. Search the forums! Browse the wiki on how to set up network connections. Because of Arch's DIY nature (and philosophy), you're not gonna learn anything if you keep asking for help to do basic stuff.

Anyway, you can use either NetworkManager or Wicd to handle as many connection profiles as you like. Make sure you read the wiki pages properly.

Last edited by DSpider (2012-04-23 06:55:43)

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#55 2012-04-23 13:39:54

ArchiMark

DSpider wrote:

My god, newbie! Three pages for hand-holding. Search the forums! Browse the wiki on how to set up network connections. Because of Arch's DIY nature (and philosophy), you're not gonna learn anything if you keep asking for help to do basic stuff.

Ummm,,,,,if you read many of posts, I have read the wiki and looked at the forums....have done various google searches on some issues to find resolution myself....

In fact, various issues came up along the way that I didn't post about because I managed to either figure out solution myself or find info somewhere else that helped me resolve problem....

I've probably spent somewhere between 15 - 20 hours on my own to get Arch running OK on my little U820 so far.....so, think I've been doing my part...

One way to look at this lengthy thread is that it

1) illustrates the challenges that a newb faces in terms of getting Arch installed and hopefully, will get more advanced Arch users or developers to understand how things look from a newb's point of view and

2) by posting my problems and then solutions, it can serve as a mini guide for other newb's that have similar issues. Given what's happened to me, I can't imagine that there aren't other newbs that faced similar problems and probably gave up and moved on to Ubuntu, etc....also, will be very helpful if I have to reinstall Arch for some reason....

Anyway, you can use either NetworkManager or Wicd to handle as many connection profiles as you like. Make sure you read the wiki pages properly.

Thanks for your input. Appreciate it as everyone elses in this thread....

As per my recent update in the post above yours, I figured out what I needed to change to get netcfg working properly....

Board footer