You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-29 07:17:41

ewaller
Administrator

Gtk3 Resize Bug?

I have been fighting with this for about a week.

I was trying to learn to write Gtk3 applications with straight C.  (In the past I have always used C++ and Gtkmm)
I ran into some strange behavior.  As a sanity check, I tried gtk3-demo and found the same behavior.

If one launches the program, makes the window larger by dragging the resize grip, then clicks in the center of the window -- bad things happen.

On openbox, "Bad" means the entire environment crashes back to the TTY console with a signal 11.

On Xfce4, "Bad" means the window captures the mouse.  Any cursor movement at that point causes the window to move most of the way off the screen.  If there is a menu, clicking on the menu after a resizes causes a "Beep" on the first attempt.

If I use the Adwatia theme, this behavior does not happen.  Others themes that support Gtk3, including high contrast, behave badly.

Whilst troubleshooting this, Xfce4.10 popped up on testing (Thanks Allan).  The badness still exists with that.

My system is fully up to date.  It is an x86_64 system with Intel graphics. 
I've Arch in two different 32 bit VirtualBox installations that do not exhibit the behavior.
I do not have access to a 32 bit system on bare metal. 

I've studied the Gtk wiki entry.  (Over and over and over smile )

Suggestions? 
I'm off to bed, I'll check back in the morning.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#2 2012-04-29 19:53:19

gedgon

Re: Gtk3 Resize Bug?

Same here. Resize grip related and supposedly fixed wink http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=630972

#3 2012-05-02 23:29:35

dodo3773

Similar (same?) issue here. I am certain it is related to gtk3 applications. Openbox crashed on me back to tty from pressing buttons in gedit and evolution (save button, send/recieve button).

#4 2012-05-03 01:10:51

quasifilmie

You can disable the resize grip by putting this in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

* {
    -GtkWindow-resize-grip-height: 0;
    -GtkWindow-resize-grip-width: 0;
}

Not sure if I read your post right but if you didn't know this already, I hope it helps smile

#5 2012-05-03 01:52:06

ewaller
Administrator

quasifilmie wrote:

You can disable the resize grip ...

Well, I suppose that is one way to fix it hmm
I do kinda want to use it though smile

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#6 2012-05-03 14:31:43

quasifilmie

ewaller wrote:

do kinda want to use it though smile

I don't use openbox but this might help: http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Actions#ResizeRelative

#7 2012-05-04 09:04:22

Padfoot

Could it be related to gtk3-3.4 breaking earlier themes? This could be why adwaita works, as it has been updated to be compatible. Try another gtk3-3.4 compatible theme. If there are no issues(as with adwaita) then I'd say the issue is an incompatible gtk3 theme.

Cheers.

#8 2012-05-04 10:48:32

Nanthiel

The thread here I think is the same issue with a different description.

#9 2012-05-04 13:22:58

ewaller
Administrator

Nanthiel wrote:

The thread here I think is the same issue with a different description.

Sure looks like it.  I'll make a visit over there and cross link the two.

Padfoot:  I agree.  I have since found a couple Gtk3 themes that don't do that.  They do, however spam me with warnings that unitless dimensions are deprecated.

---

#10 2012-05-04 14:17:08

Nanthiel

I re-installed Zukini from AUR and they seemed to have fixed the unitless dimensions warning.

It still crashes X though.

Last edited by Nanthiel (2012-05-04 14:18:00)

#11 2012-05-05 03:40:56

Padfoot

ewaller wrote:

Padfoot:  I agree.  I have since found a couple Gtk3 themes that don't do that.  They do, however spam me with warnings that unitless dimensions are deprecated.

I know exactly what you mean. My ~/.xsession-errors file absolutely ballooned due to the spam. I got that sick of it that I manually edited each error line in my gtk.css file to stop it.

What annoys me the most is the Gnome dev team breaking theming in only the 3rd release of the Gnome 3 series with what essentially amounts to an api change.

It took long enough to get a reasonable amount of gtk3 themes in the first place, and at only the 3rd release, they have set that back to basically the start again. I would have thought a dot release should at least maintain backwards compatibility with the rest of the series to avoid p@#$ing users off.

Oh well, all we can do is <ALT> Shutdown I suppose wink

Cheers.

Last edited by Padfoot (2012-05-05 03:42:00)

#12 2012-05-05 08:32:31

e_tank

i'm seeing this behavior as well, but not just from using the resizer, on any gtk3 window that allows you to move it by clicking on part of the interior of the window and dragging it, after its been moved if you then click on any widget in the window openbox will crash (both epiphany and evince are affected).  this problem appears to be independent from the theme being used.  i'm running fully up to date arch-x86_64 with the nouveau driver.

Last edited by e_tank (2012-05-05 08:39:18)

#13 2012-05-05 08:44:32

Nanthiel

e_tank wrote:

i'm seeing this behavior as well, but not just from using the resizer, on any gtk3 window that allows you to move it by clicking on part of the interior of the window and dragging it, after its been moved if you then click on any widget in the window openbox will crash (both epiphany and evince are affected).  this problem appears to be independent from the theme being used.  i'm running fully up to date arch-x86_64 with the nouveau driver.

Exactly. Also the driver doesn't seem to matter. I've tried Intel and Nvidia (via Bumblebee/optirun) and the same things happens.

#14 2012-05-05 16:06:55

M4he

I'm having this crash issue on both of my machines as well. This is rendering openbox useless since I rely on some GTK3 apps.
Seems like GTK 3.4 doesn't play well with openbox.

I wonder if it is openbox which needs to be 'fixed' or if this is a bug within the new GTK3 that only appears when using openbox...

Arch - makes me feel right at /home

#15 2012-05-05 16:47:05

ewaller
Administrator

M4he wrote:

I'm having this crash issue on both of my machines as well. This is rendering openbox useless since I rely on some GTK3 apps.

I wonder if it is openbox which needs to be 'fixed' or if this is a bug within the new GTK3 that only appears when using openbox...

Well, I switched over to using Xfce4 for now.  This bug manifests itself there as strange behavior in which windows spontaneously move large distances, or in which error "Beeps" occur when opening menus  -- but at least it does not crash the environment.

---

#16 2012-05-05 17:22:58

Nanthiel

ewaller wrote:

... but at least it does not crash the environment.

Very intriguing. I would have thought this was more an issue between GTK3 and X.

I can't wait until someone figures it out. I hope they'll announce what it was.

#17 2012-05-05 18:10:36

dodo3773

Nanthiel wrote:
ewaller wrote:

... but at least it does not crash the environment.

Very intriguing. I would have thought this was more an issue between GTK3 and X.

I can't wait until someone figures it out. I hope they'll announce what it was.

I think it is an error in gtk3. The only difference as far as I can tell is the way openbox responds to the error. I would be surprised if the error was any different on xfce apart from the fact it is not causing xfce to crash X.

#18 2012-05-05 18:16:40

Nanthiel

Yes, but I don't think crashing the whole X server is a correct response to an error that can obviously (as XFCE shows) be omitted. hmm

#19 2012-05-05 20:50:14

e_tank

does anyone know what version of gtk3 this problem started in?  i had not updated for a while so the last version i was using was 3.2.4.  it probably started in either 3.4.0 or 3.4.1, if started in 3.4.1 then at least the problem will probably be easier to track down.

#20 2012-05-05 21:32:46

Padfoot

ewaller wrote:
M4he wrote:

Well, I switched over to using Xfce4 for now.  This bug manifests itself there as strange behavior in which windows spontaneously move large distances, or in which error "Beeps" occur when opening menus  -- but at least it does not crash the environment.

I am using Xfce4 (4.10) and have no issues with gtk3 apps, but I am using xfwm4 for my WM. Are you still using openbox for your WM? This could indicate that it's an openbox/gtk3 issue. (Then again, I am using a self customised gtk3 theme as well)

e_tank wrote:

does anyone know what version of gtk3 this problem started in?  i had not updated for a while so the last version i was using was 3.2.4.  it probably started in either 3.4.0 or 3.4.1, if started in 3.4.1 then at least the problem will probably be easier to track down.

The issue appeared with gtk3-3.4.0.

Last edited by Padfoot (2012-05-05 21:35:12)

#21 2012-05-06 01:42:08

ewaller
Administrator

Padfoot wrote:

I am using Xfce4 (4.10) and have no issues with gtk3 apps, but I am using xfwm4 for my WM. Are you still using openbox for your WM? This could indicate that it's an openbox/gtk3 issue. (Then again, I am using a self customised gtk3 theme as well)

Yes, I am using Xfce 4.10.  Try this:
Pick a Gtk2 theme that does not have a Gtk3 counterpart.
Run gtk3-demo
Grab the size bar and increase the size of the window by about 50%.
Move the pointer to the middle of the window.
Click once.  The cursor probably turns to a cross (This is a the point where OpenBox goes Tango Uniform)
Move the pointer.  The window will jump down and to the right such that the upper left hand corner moves to the location on the screen about where the sizer handle was.
Moving the pointer more causes the  window to move with the cursor, even though the cursor may be outside window boundary.
Release the pointer, and things return to normal, but the window location is hosed.
Drag the window back to where it belongs.
Profit.  (Sorry, I could not resist)
Next, try it with a few Gtk3 themes.  Some work, some don't.

---

#22 2012-05-06 03:04:05

e_tank

i can confirm the problem exists in xfce4 as well, although as already mentioned it doesn't cause a segfault like it does in openbox, it just moves the current window around widely.  anyway, someone has posted a quick work around patch for openbox on their bug list here (credit goes to Edward Sheldrake).  i haven't had any crashes since applying the patch, though i'll make sure to post back here if i do at some point.

#23 2012-05-06 04:14:31

Padfoot

Ok, I can confirm the behaviour when using gtk3-demo. This is the only gtk3 app I have experienced this in. It appears to be a signalling error to me, where the start resize signal is received and acted upon, but the end resize signal is not being fully released or is somehow 'morphing' into a window move signal????

Strange.

The other thing I noticed (now I didn't change my gtk theme at all so I am using a valid gtk2 & gtk3 theme) was starting any gtk3 app from a terminal, no spam, starting gtk3-demo spams my terminal with the "depricated units" warning.

#24 2012-05-06 23:55:57

dodo3773

e_tank wrote:

i can confirm the problem exists in xfce4 as well, although as already mentioned it doesn't cause a segfault like it does in openbox, it just moves the current window around widely.  anyway, someone has posted a quick work around patch for openbox on their bug list here (credit goes to Edward Sheldrake).  i haven't had any crashes since applying the patch, though i'll make sure to post back here if i do at some point.

The patch seems to work. Thank you for finding it.

#25 2012-05-07 04:47:27

pablox
Website

In gnome3 the bug isn't there (or at least I still can't found it), in xmonad it happens with the same steps (clicking location bar in nautilus) but without killing X. So, I guess I'm gonna flirt with xmonad for a while :$.

Geeks & Linux Atelier
An eye for an eye ... ends in making everybody blind -- Mahatma Gandhi
dotfiles

Board footer