You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-04 02:20:37

pablox
Website

X server (¿openbox?) crash when using nautilus

I know this is gonna sound weird, but I just noticed that during the last few days everytime I click on the nautilus location bar, the xserver closes giving none (unless nothing i can find).

I'm running x64 arch linux with openbox.

I've tried to run the simplest "openbox" I can, removing autostart.sh, running openbox directly through xinit (or startx), but this still occurs and the only error I'm getting is this

How are you gentlemen? All your base are belong to us. (Openbox received signal 11)

I'm attaching the log:

xinit &> log
X.Org X Server 1.12.1
Release Date: 2012-04-13
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.3.1-1-ARCH x86_64 
Current Operating System: Linux studio 3.3.4-2-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed May 2 18:28:42 CEST 2012 x86_64
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/linux/arch ro quiet
Build Date: 14 April 2012  07:09:45AM

Current version of pixman: 0.24.4
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu May  3 21:57:40 2012
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
>                   Ignoring extra symbols
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
which: no hsetroot in (/home/arch/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0/bin:/home/arch/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@global/bin:/home/arch/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p0/bin:/home/arch/.rvm/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/share/java/apache-ant/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/home/arch/bin)
which: no esetroot in (/home/arch/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0/bin:/home/arch/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-p0@global/bin:/home/arch/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p0/bin:/home/arch/.rvm/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/share/java/apache-ant/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl:/home/arch/bin)
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Warning:          Compat map for group 2 redefined
>                   Using new definition
> Warning:          Compat map for group 3 redefined
> Warning:          Compat map for group 4 redefined
Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
--> checking for Xinerama extension... yes
--> checking if Xinerama is enabled... yes
--> fetching Xinerama info... done (2 screens)
Simple mixer control 'Beep',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined penum
  Playback channels: Mono
  Limits: Playback 0 - 3
  Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [-18.00dB] [off]

** (process:18829): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GMountMountFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:18829): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GDriveStartFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:18829): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GSocketMsgFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
Failed to connect to the VirtualBox kernel service

** (process:18853): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GMountMountFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:18853): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GDriveStartFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:18853): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GSocketMsgFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'
N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at {43732dd6db69238740d2ce3900002c29}unix:/home/arch/.pulse/43732dd6db69238740d2ce3900002c29-runtime/native, which appears to be local. Probing deeper.

(gnome-settings-daemon:18815): power-plugin-WARNING **: Failed set DPMS mode: Could not change DPMS mode
tint2 : nb monitor 1, nb monitor used 1, nb desktop 3

** (nm-applet:18854): WARNING **: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

** (nm-applet:18854): WARNING **: fetch_connections_done: error fetching connections: (25) Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1.

** (nm-applet:18854): WARNING **: Failed to register as an agent: (25) Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1

** (process:18951): WARNING **: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

** (gnome-settings-daemon:18815): WARNING **: Unable to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
[INFO 21:57:45.326] Initializing Mono.Addins
Initializing nautilus-dropbox 0.7.1
Initializing nautilus-open-terminal extension
warning: line 6172: incompatible stripping characters and condition
warning: line 6184: incompatible stripping characters and condition

(Tomboy:18826): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: GdkPixbufLoader finalized without calling gdk_pixbuf_loader_close() - this is not allowed. You must explicitly end the data stream to the loader before dropping the last reference.
** Message: Starting applet secret agent because GNOME Shell disappeared

** (nm-applet:18854): WARNING **: Failed to register as an agent: (25) Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
[Error 21:57:49.516] Could not load desktop item: Unknown encoding of: file:///usr/share/applications/illumination.desktop
How are you gentlemen? All your base are belong to us. (Openbox received signal 11)
xinit: connection to X server lost
xscreensaver: 21:57:49: SIGHUP received: restarting...
xscreensaver: 21:57:49: running as arch/users (1000/100)

XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"
      after 1966 requests (1966 known processed) with 24 events remaining.
real transparency on... depth: 32
xRandr: Found crtc's: 2
xRandr: Linking output HDMI1 with crtc 0
xRandr: Linking output LVDS1 with crtc 1

waiting for X server to shut down xscreensaver: 21:57:50: Can't open display: :0
xscreensaver: 21:57:50: running as arch/users (1000/100)

xscreensaver: 21:57:50: Errors at startup are usually authorization problems.
              But you're not logging in as root (good!) so something
              else must be wrong.  Did you read the manual and the FAQ?

http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html
              http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/man.html

.Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

The Xorg.0.log doesn't show anything unusual, so I don't know where else to look. Any help to isolate this issue would be very welcome smile

EDIT: I should add that this issue is exclusive to openbox, since this doesn't happen in any other window manager.

Last edited by pablox (2012-05-04 02:29:44)

Geeks & Linux Atelier
An eye for an eye ... ends in making everybody blind -- Mahatma Gandhi
dotfiles

#2 2012-05-04 10:30:11

DSpider

Re: X server (¿openbox?) crash when using nautilus

Is this on an updated system? Run 'pacman -Syu', reboot.

Is this nautilus2 or 'nautilus' (3.4.1)? Try this: uninstall it (pacman -Rnsd), delete (or move) the ~/.gconf/apps/nautilus folder, log out, and then reinstall it. Also get rid of anything else from ~/.xinitrc (or comment them out), except for "exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch openbox-session".

And get rid of any extensions that you may have. Like:
nautilus-dropbox
nautilus-open-terminal

If you still have problems, create a new user and test it there.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#3 2012-05-04 10:43:17

Nanthiel

I have this happening as well, but on every GTK3 application. It happens more rarely if I unset gtk-theme-name in ~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini.

(EDIT) With the »default« theme, it only happens after touching the bottom-right resize handle. With Adwaita (or any other theme) it happens if I grab the window, move it around a bit, then click some stuff. Every time.

Last edited by Nanthiel (2012-05-04 10:46:01)

#4 2012-05-04 11:23:51

sano

Has been happening to me as well.
"Solved " it by moving away from GTK3 apps. I still have them installed, but at least for the time being I rely on cli or on GUIs that don't ship with GTK3.
I mean, we're using OB and not gnome3, we should be comfortable with cli and some basic GUIs...

#5 2012-05-04 11:37:23

DSpider

Well, yeah. GTK3 is still pretty fresh. I remember the same thing happened when GTK2 was out.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#6 2012-05-04 13:24:05

ewaller
Administrator

Hello all.  I am pretty sure that this thread and the one I started are related.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=140530

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#7 2012-05-05 19:57:12

pablox
Website

Yes, I guess is the same error. Should we follow it there?

Geeks & Linux Atelier
dotfiles

#8 2012-05-08 05:28:51

techzilla
Website

I'm also experiencing  X crashes running GTK 3.4 applications, under Openbox 3.5.  I Just installed Ubuntu 12.04, and this problem was ridiculous.  Thank god you Arch users are actual experts, unlike those idiots on askubuntu... I'm sick of answering my own questions.  Help is only available there. If you are just inexperienced. My questions are all things I could not answer, so they always become tumbleweeds.

I'm going to recompile the deb package, after I apply the patch.  I'll post back if this works.

#9 2012-05-09 16:43:42

techzilla
Website

Thank you so much!!! The patch fixed this horrific problem.
https://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5460

I applied the patch, to the newest Ubuntu openbox build and rebuilt the package.
I also made this edit to let anyone searching know, I finally created a PPA and uploaded my packages. 
The Patched Openbox package is in the PPA, and it's the one I'm running as well.

My Launchpad PPA is located here,
https://launchpad.net/~techzilla/+archive/bugfix

Last edited by techzilla (2012-05-19 22:42:25)

#10 2012-05-09 20:03:17

techzilla
Website

ewaller wrote:

Hello all.  I am pretty sure that this thread and the one I started are related.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=140530

I also want to clarify, what is related and what is not.  @ewaller: When you created that post ....your initial problem, *could* be an unrelated problem.   It all hangs on which version of GTK you were using, which you never specified.  I also should note, the problem is much broader scoped than the resize grip.  My reasoning was related to, user gedgon's Debian bug report.  The bug reported versions are for  gtk+3.0/3.0.10-1, and was Fixed in  gtk+3.0/3.2.3-1.  Neither of those versions presented this new openbox problem for me,  and I speculate,  not for the other people who posted problems with GTK3.4.
Personally,  openbox worked nicely with GTK 3.2 applications.  I first encountered problems as soon as GTK 3.4 came in the mix.

On the other hand, later in the post, multiple users report this post's GTK 3.4 problem.  Specifically These users: Nanthiel, e_tank, M4he, dodo3773.  Obviously all the users in this post, would be included in the list.  SO to summarize... If you were using GTK < 3.4, gedgon's Debian bug report is related,  our bugs are unrelated.    If you were using GTK ≥ 3.4,  gedgon's Debian bug report is unrelated, our bugs are related.

#11 2012-05-10 04:13:30

pablox
Website

techzilla wrote:

Thank you so much!!! The patch fixed this horrific problem.
https://bugzilla.icculus.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5460

I applied the patch, to the newest Ubuntu openbox build and rebuilt the package.
I only did my arch, x86_64 but it might be a time saver for other people.  I uploaded it to my web server.
http://tech-zilla.com/packages/openbox_ … _amd64.deb

You should get a ppa on launchpad wink.

techzilla wrote:

I also want to clarify, what is related and what is not.  @ewaller: When you created that post ....your initial problem, *could* be an unrelated problem.   It all hangs on which version of GTK you were using, which you never specified.  I also should note, the problem is much broader scoped than the resize grip.  My reasoning was related to, user gedgon's Debian bug report.  The bug reported versions are for  gtk+3.0/3.0.10-1, and was Fixed in  gtk+3.0/3.2.3-1.  Neither of those versions presented this new openbox problem for me,  and I speculate,  not for the other people who posted problems with GTK3.4.
Personally,  openbox worked nicely with GTK 3.2 applications.  I first encountered problems as soon as GTK 3.4 came in the mix.

On the other hand, later in the post, multiple users report this post's GTK 3.4 problem.  Specifically These users: Nanthiel, e_tank, M4he, dodo3773.  Obviously all the users in this post, would be included in the list.  SO to summarize... If you were using GTK < 3.4, gedgon's Debian bug report is related,  our bugs are unrelated.    If you were using GTK ≥ 3.4,  gedgon's Debian bug report is unrelated, our bugs are related.

In the end I'm not so sure... is this bug reported upstream?

Geeks & Linux Atelier
dotfiles

#12 2012-05-10 04:25:38

ewaller
Administrator

techzilla wrote:

@ewaller: When you created that post ....your initial problem, *could* be an unrelated problem.   It all hangs on which version of GTK you were using, which you never specified.

First off, Welcome to Arch Linux.  You should consider making the switch, I think you would be an asset to the community.  One thing you should note about Arch, Unlike the other distros you mentioned, it is a rolling release distro.  When I made the assertion that my system was up to date, the implicit meaning was that I was running 3.4.2-2, the version that was in effect on that day.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#13 2012-05-11 15:54:46

segrived
Website

#14 2012-05-12 19:40:01

techzilla
Website

ewaller wrote:
techzilla wrote:

@ewaller: When you created that post ....your initial problem, *could* be an unrelated problem.   It all hangs on which version of GTK you were using, which you never specified.

First off, Welcome to Arch Linux.  You should consider making the switch, I think you would be an asset to the community.  One thing you should note about Arch, Unlike the other distros you mentioned, it is a rolling release distro.  When I made the assertion that my system was up to date, the implicit meaning was that I was running 3.4.2-2, the version that was in effect on that day.

I was aware of Arch being a rolling distro, which actually is exactly what I prefer.  I'm an somewhat Debian old-school guy, who was sick of Debian being so damn outdated.  Sid is updated and does not actually have releases, but smoothly rolling it is not.  I had even gone so far as downloading Arch, but decided against it soon as I read how the init system is configured.  I can appreciate the reasons why Arch continues using a BSD-style init system, but I am 100% sold on Systemd.  I prefer Systemd to Upstart, but also strongly prefer Upstart to BSD-style init.  I work as a Linux SysAdmin, and am always dealing with RHEL, but strongly prefer Debian to RHEL.  Even though Fedora uses Systemd, I really dislike Fedora regardless. ... So it looks like i'm stuck with Ubuntu, I may consider Gentoo/Sabayon at some future point.

Last edited by techzilla (2012-05-12 19:42:22)

Board footer