You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-03 01:56:40

Infrared

Restoring default console font size

I recently performed a long overdue series of updates, and now I'm facing the same font size issue that was discussed in this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=96768

Now I've seen this page, which talks about changing the font and the size: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … fault_font

But the thing is I actually like the font, it's just the size that I'm trying to change. When the system starts to boot, the size is great. It's only after "waiting for udev uevents to be processed" has finished that the font gets tiny. So I know the right settings are somewhere in there, I just don't know where to keep them the way they are without getting changed.

I have a sneaking suspicion the fix is easy, I'm just missing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Infrared (2012-06-03 02:49:31)

#2 2012-06-03 02:55:45

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Restoring default console font size

It sounds like KMS. Just change the font to a larger one.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2012-06-03 03:59:30

Infrared

I think KMS might be an issue (from what I've read around in other threads).

But the wiki page on KMS and font size only links away to another page on changing the default font altogether. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … e_too_tiny

Not that I'm averse to looking around and trying out new fonts. But I'm pretty comfortable with the default font and size right at the beginning of startup, and if at all possible, would like to keep it.

#4 2012-06-03 04:20:00

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Yes, you can keep that font: just bump it up to a larger size, one that you are more comfortable with...

#5 2012-06-03 23:43:58

Infrared

Ack, I'm missing something obvious, I know....

Where do I bump up the file size? Looking in /etc/rc.conf, both consolefont and consolemap are blank. But that doesn't seem to be part of KMS.

Is it KMS settings that I'm changing? If so, where do I access those?

#6 2012-06-03 23:52:52

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Instructions for changing the default console font are on the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … fault_font

As far as I can tell, the default font is called, oddly enough, default - and if you look in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts you will see only two options: 8x16 and 8x9 - use setfont to confirm.

If neither of those is large enough after KMS kicks in, you might try one of the other older school fonts in that directory.

#7 2012-06-04 00:04:40

Gusar

When this comes up (this thread is by far not the first one on this subject), the reaction is always advising to change the font. Never to change the resolution. Yet another one of the weird phenomenons I find so interesting.

#8 2012-06-04 00:18:39

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Gusar wrote:

When this comes up (this thread is by far not the first one on this subject), the reaction is always advising to change the font. Never to change the resolution. Yet another one of the weird phenomenons I find so interesting.

Then perhaps, rather than just finding it interesting, you should edit the wiki to that effect?

#9 2012-06-04 01:10:45

Infrared

jasonwryan wrote:

Instructions for changing the default console font are on the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … fault_font

As far as I can tell, the default font is called, oddly enough, default - and if you look in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts you will see only two options: 8x16 and 8x9 - use setfont to confirm.

If neither of those is large enough after KMS kicks in, you might try one of the other older school fonts in that directory.

Oddly enough, it is called default, haha. Played around with a couple of the font settings, but what wound up happening was that it would load the font, and then after ""waiting for udev uevents to be processed" finished, the font got tiny again.

So it might be a resolution thing. Will look into that.

Gusar wrote:

Suggestions on best method to do so?

Last edited by Infrared (2012-06-04 01:46:15)

Board footer