You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-04 17:21:08

erowley

How to setup subdomain names

For example, I have a NAS on my uncle's network and can give it a dynamic domain name foo.foofoobar.dyndns.org. Is it conceivable to have my other three machines on this network be accessible to the WAN via barfoo1.foo.foofoobar.dyndns.org, barfoo2.foo.foofoobar.dyndns.org, barfoo3.foo..., etc all while using DHCP?

What kind of DNS services would I need to setup for this? What would they have to do?

My uncle currently has a basic wifi router that I do not want to touch. I could forward some ports on it, but that is all I really want to do. The router assigns all it's IPs using DHCP but I'm sure I could give machines a static IP. The NAS would have foo.foofoobar.dyndns.org as its domain name and could be the first to receive a static IP. I would be interested in a solution that involved a few static IPs as possible.

I've never done anything like this before. I imagine the router could forward incoming traffic to the LAN's NAS on a static IP. Requests for foo.foofoobar.dyndns.org would stop there. Requests for barfoo1.foo.foofoobar.dyndns.org for example would trigger a DNS lookup in BIND9 running on the NAS, which would then connect to the IP of whatever machine on the network was sending the dyndns updates to the NAS for barfoo1.foo.foofoobar.dyndns.org. Is this crazy, or plausible?

Last edited by erowley (2012-06-04 19:11:32)

#2 2012-06-04 18:24:21

ewaller
Administrator

Re: How to setup subdomain names

No.

Take a read here.  Pay attention to the section on misrouting.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2012-06-04 18:28:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Please change your title to something useful, like "How to setup subdomain names", in accordance with the forum guidelines.

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#4 2012-06-04 18:35:19

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Use IPv6?

Tell your uncle you'd like to expose his whole LAN so people can hack him more easily?

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2012-06-04 18:39:49

ewaller
Administrator

.:B:. wrote:

Use IPv6?

smile  I had not thought of that.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#6 2012-06-04 19:21:20

erowley

.:B:. wrote:

Use IPv6?

Tell your uncle you'd like to expose his whole LAN so people can hack him more easily?

.:B:.,

Keep going.

From what I read in Wikipedia on IPv6 private networks, the IPv6 private networks have addresses are global in scope. In theory this could be a solution for someone like me. Still, his router and the service from DynDNS.com uses IPv4.

I wonder how I could work around that, or in the future set up an IPv6 network that does this kind of thing. Have you tried it before?

#7 2012-06-04 21:22:36

erowley

Did a little research and found a possible solution through IPv6 in this guide: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianIPv6

In the section IPv6 6to4 Configuration

You may not know this, but if you have a public IPv4 address you already have IPv6 addresses reserved. There is a transitional system called 6to4 (sometimes written stf or 6 to 4) that maps any IPv4 address an entire subnet of IPv6 addresses. You can use it to assign a single address to your system, or as the prefix for your local IPv6 network.

Mapping an IPv4 address to an entire subnet of IPv6 addresses is the interesting part. I'll look more into this and update as I go.

Board footer