You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-28 01:54:00

xworld

[SOLVED]Not authorized to perform this operation

Hello Arch forums. As much as I tried to avoid posting this question here, I can't seem to find the answer anywhere else. I have a dual boot with Arch and Win7 and I also have another partition for sharing files in between the two called Data. The only trouble is that when I try to open the Data part it says this: Unable to mount "Data" Not authorized to perform operation. I have viewed other posts on this forum with people having the same problem as me. I have tried the solutions but it doesn't seem to help. I am running SLiM. I do have dbus set as a daemon. Here is my .xinitrc:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
  for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
    [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
  done
  unset f
fi
# exec gnome-session
# exec startkde
# exec startxfce4
# ...or the Window Manager of your choice
 exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch openbox-session

My user is in the group storage. I have also tried to create this file: /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/50-filesystem-mount-system-internal.pkla and put this inside of it:

[Mount a system-internal device]
Identity=*
Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount-system-internal
ResultActive=yes

As well as creating this file: /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/55-myconf.pkla and putting this in it:

[Storage Permissions]
 Identity=unix-group:storage
 Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.filesystem-mount;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-eject;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-detach;org.freedesktop.udisks.luks-unlock;org.freedesktop.udisks.inhibit-polling;org.freedesktop.udisks.drive-set-spindown
 ResultAny=yes
 ResultActive=yes
 ResultInactive=no

I have referred to Google and I have used the search function in this forum. I have also referred to the Wiki. I checked the thunar wiki as well as the udev wiki and the openbox wiki. At this point I am a little stuck.

EDIT: I also tried to permamount the partition in /etc/fstab but that doesn't seem to be what I want because when I do that it makes it so that I can't even see the partition in thunar. Which is obviously a problem. I suppose I should also mention that I actually have no problem mounting and viewing the contents of USB devices. The only problem is with any of my ntfs devices.

Last edited by xworld (2012-06-28 02:32:31)

#2 2012-06-28 02:06:42

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]Not authorized to perform this operation

You just gotta know how to search. Searching for ntfs drives gave me this thread as the 4th result. Its solved, involves the same error message and uses Thunar  &  Slim too

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=143623

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2012-06-28 02:20:01

xworld

I suppose you are right about needing to learn how to search. In this thread he solved it by changing his /etc/polkit-l/localauthority/50-local.d/10-storage-group-mount-override.pkla. However when I try to save the changes it says error writing /etc/polkit-l/localauthority/50-local.d/10-storage-group-mount-override.pkla.

#4 2012-06-28 02:25:31

Pres

Because you are not creating the file as root?

#5 2012-06-28 02:31:55

xworld

I was using sudo nano to create and edit the file. For some reason though it worked this time. I just ran sudo nano like I was doing before but it worked this time. Thanks for your responses Arch users. This has been solved.

Board footer