You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-11 19:50:43

scruffmeister

Serial Connection to Raspberry PI Running Arch

Hi All,

I've been running ArchLinux on my Raspberry PI for a while now, but I've noted some difference in the outputs I get on the serial (/dev/AMA0) between Arch and Debian that I hope someone might be able to offer insight on.

When I connect to serial UART under the standard Debian image for the PI, I am able to see the entire boot sequence - right from processor identification, through kernel boot parameters all the way to login prompt.

When I connect in the same way to the PI booting the Arch image, I see nothing but  about 15x "white '?' on black diamond) symbols until the login prompt appears.

So I can use the serial, but I would really like to see the boot sequence as this is some of the benefit of the serial connection to me. I have checked /boot/cmdline.txt and it appears to enable the port (console=ttyAMA0,115200).

Does anyone know where I would start with trying to get information printed to serial sooner?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by scruffmeister (2012-07-11 19:51:31)

#2 2012-07-14 04:14:56

ricochet1k

Re: Serial Connection to Raspberry PI Running Arch

I had the same problem. What fixed it for me is setting loglevel=5 instead of 2 inside /boot/cmdline.txt

#3 2012-07-14 20:33:42

scruffmeister

Re: Serial Connection to Raspberry PI Running Arch

@ricochet1k - Thanks! That solved it... I actually set mine to loglevel=6 (KERN_INFO) after some experimentation.

More documentation here on all the options/valid values for anyone else who might be interested.

http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation … meters.txt

Board footer