You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-16 12:40:01

justdanyul

Regarding the clock

Hey guys,

Its recommended in the install guide not to set the clock to "localtime", and in dual boot situations, and apply a registry edit hack to the windows installation instead.

However, Microsoft is recommending not set the RealTimeIsUniversal to 1. So, whats the solution if I don't want to compromise any of the OSes? And shouldn't the installation guide at least point out that what you are doing potentially will cause issues for the windows installation?

Why is using localtime a issue? Historically this has been the way to deal with dual boot systems in most other distributions i've been exposed to.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687252

#2 2012-07-16 13:34:04

anonymous_user

Re: Regarding the clock

localtime may not be recommended but its still a valid option and it's what I currently use. I suppose to avoid this issue you could install Arch Linux and Windows to separate hard disks and just use BIOS to switch between them wink

#3 2012-07-16 13:47:29

DSpider

I also use HARDWARECLOCK="localtime" in rc.conf. When daylight savings time kicks in (March and November), I boot up Windows XP and it fixes the tint2 (and system) clock in Arch.

It's ugly but at least it's twice a year... Not that big of a deal, IMO.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-07-16 14:06:32

Pres

Is that article just saying that Windows will become unresponsive during the DST change (so 2am 2 days out of the year)? Doesn't make sense to me.

I use the registry hack and haven't had any problems with it, but then again I rarely ever boot into Windows 7.

#5 2012-07-16 14:41:34

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Pres wrote:

I use the registry hack and haven't had any problems with it, but then again I rarely ever boot into Windows 7.

I do as well and I don't either

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer