You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-16 14:29:47

grego1422
Website

[SOLVED] Stuck in fresh install: problems after succesfull glibc upgra

Hello everyone. I am stuck in the installation after upgrading glibc.

I am installing from the Core Image ISO.
As it says in the Developer Wiki the first thing I did after installing the system is:

$ pacman -U http://pkgbuild.com/~allan/glibc-2.16.0 … pkg.tar.xz

In that moment appaered some errors related to tzselect and 2 other files which I dont remember but I deleted them and then it let me install.

By doing that it let me upgrade pacman, so I upgraded pacman and created de signature database as it should be.
Then I did a 'pacman -S filesystem --force' and 'rm /etc/profile.d/locale.sh' to solve future known errors related to system upgrade and rebooted.

In that moment everything was OK, but then I tried 'pacman -Syu'

Here's where I am stuck. Pacman says that /lib still exists on the filesystem.

As it says on the developer wiki i tried 'find /lib -exec pacman -Qo -- {} +' to find out which packages where owing /lib and the list it displayed was HUGE, really...

I removed the /lib/modules/3.0-ARCH since no other files where in that folder and tried again 'pacman -Syu' but keep getting the '/lib exists on filesystem' error.

What should I do to solve this??

The list of files in /lib is this:
device-mapper            libcap.so.2                         libext2fs.so.2.4       libmount.so.1.1.0       libpam_misc.so         libshadow.so
firmware                 libcap.so.2.22                      libgcrypt.so           libm.so.6               libpam_misc.so.0       libshadow.so.0
initcpio                 libcidn-2.16.so                     libgcrypt.so.11        libncursesw.so.5        libpam_misc.so.0.82.0  libshadow.so.0.0.0
ld-2.16.so               libcidn.so.1                        libgcrypt.so.11.7.0    libncursesw.so.5.9      libpam.so              libss.so.2
ld-linux-x86-64.so.2     libcom_err.so.2                     libgpg-error.so        libnsl-2.16.so          libpam.so.0            libss.so.2.0
libacl.so                libcom_err.so.2.1                   libgpg-error.so.0      libnsl.so.1             libpam.so.0.83.1       libsysfs.so.2
libacl.so.1              libcrypt-2.16.so                    libgpg-error.so.0.8.0  libnss_compat-2.16.so   libpcprofile.so        libsysfs.so.2.0.1
libacl.so.1.1.0          libcryptsetup.so                    libgudev-1.0.so.0      libnss_compat.so.2      libpcre.so.0           libthread_db-1.0.so
libanl-2.16.so           libcryptsetup.so.1                  libgudev-1.0.so.0.1.0  libnss_db-2.16.so       libpcre.so.0.0.1       libthread_db.so.1
libanl.so.1              libcryptsetup.so.1.2.0              libhandle.a            libnss_db.so.2          libpopt.so             libudev.so.0
libattr.so               libcrypt.so.1                       libhandle.so           libnss_dns-2.16.so      libpopt.so.0           libudev.so.0.12.0
libattr.so.1             libc.so.6                           libhandle.so.1         libnss_dns.so.2         libpopt.so.0.0.0       libutil-2.16.so
libattr.so.1.1.0         libdevmapper-event-lvm2mirror.so    libhandle.so.1.0.3     libnss_files-2.16.so    libproc-3.2.8.so       libutil.so.1
libblkid.so.1            libdevmapper-event-lvm2raid.so      libhistory.so          libnss_files.so.2       libpthread-2.16.so     libuuid.so.1
libblkid.so.1.1.0        libdevmapper-event-lvm2snapshot.so  libhistory.so.6        libnss_hesiod-2.16.so   libpthread.so.0        libuuid.so.1.3.0
libBrokenLocale-2.16.so  libdevmapper-event-lvm2.so.2.02     libhistory.so.6.2      libnss_hesiod.so.2      libreadline.so         modprobe.d
libBrokenLocale.so.1     libdevmapper-event.so.1.02          libkeyutils.so.1       libnss_nis-2.16.so      libreadline.so.6       modules
libbz2.so                libdevmapper.so.1.02                libkeyutils.so.1.4     libnss_nisplus-2.16.so  libreadline.so.6.2     security
libbz2.so.1              libdl-2.16.so                       liblvm2app.so.2.2      libnss_nisplus.so.2     libresolv-2.16.so      systemd
libbz2.so.1.0            libdl.so.2                          liblvm2cmd.so.2.02     libnss_nis.so.2         libresolv.so.2         udev
libbz2.so.1.0.6          libe2p.so.2                         libm-2.16.so           libpamc.so              librt-2.16.so
libc-2.16.so             libe2p.so.2.3                       libmemusage.so         libpamc.so.0            librt.so.1
libcap.so                libext2fs.so.2                      libmount.so.1          libpamc.so.0.82.1       libSegFault.so

Thanks everyone who will answer this post.

Last edited by grego1422 (2012-07-16 19:35:16)

Visiten mi blog! Blog para geeks

#2 2012-07-16 14:37:12

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Stuck in fresh install: problems after succesfull glibc upgra

Welcome to the forums, grego1422. Try this ::  http://allanmcrae.com/

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2012-07-16 15:23:10

DSpider

Post the output of:

$ find /lib -exec pacman -Qo -- {} +

If there's anything other than owned by glibc in there, uninstall it and run "pacman -Su" again.

If you get something like:

error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/somefolder'
error: cannot determine ownership of directory '/lib/somefolder/folder'
error: No package owns /lib/somefolder/somefile

...move the "somefolder" (don't delete it!) some place else and run "pacman -Su" again.

Do this until only stuff owned by glibc is in /lib. Then you can safely update glibc.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2012-07-16 16:27:24

grego1422
Website

It seems that deleting the folder inside /lib/modules broke something since the system was quite unstable after rebooting...
Whatever, I'm sorry I can't continue to solve my last situation.

I have just made a new install and followed the instructions at Allan McRae's blog.

pacman -Sy
rm -rf /var/run /var/lock && pacman -Sf filesystem
pacman -S tzdata
pacman -U http://pkgbuild.com/~allan/glibc-2.16.0 … pkg.tar.xz
rm /etc/profile.d/locale.sh
pacman -Su --ignore glibc
pacman -Su

I'm quite near the success, now I'm stuck at generating the signature database.
Before the last 'pacman -Su' I'm forced to create the trusted signature database by pacman, when I run 'pacman-key --init' it seems to hang, I left it there generating the database for about half an hour in my first atempt and about an hour in my second atempt and it never finished. But in my previous installation (2 hours ago) it was done in 5 minutes.

Is there another way to generate the signature database? or anyone knows what is happening? Thank you.

Last edited by grego1422 (2012-07-16 16:27:55)

#5 2012-07-16 16:30:07

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#6 2012-07-16 16:52:03

grego1422
Website

Lol, generating "entropy" was strange... but magic! I did an 'ls -R /' in another tty and the process finished up in less than a minute, then I could upgrade glibc without problems or new errors.
Please mark this thread as Solved.
Thanks Inxsible and DSpider!

Last edited by grego1422 (2012-07-16 16:54:24)

#7 2012-07-16 16:54:27

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

grego1422 wrote:

I'll mark this thread as Solved.

edit 1st post and append [SOLVED] to the title.

Forum Rules

Board footer