You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-16 17:07:23

HungryMonster

[SOLVED] Power Management in KDE doesn't work

Hello world :-)

I just installed Arch and everything works well except for Power Management in KDE. The Power Management settings in System Settings are completely grayed out and provided with following message:

"Power Management configuration module could not be loaded. The Power Management Service appears not to be running. This can be solved by starting or scheduling it inside Startup and Shutdown."

However the Power Management service is already running and if I restart it I get the message:

"KDE Power Management System could not be initialized. The backend reported the following error: No valid Power Management backend plugins are available. A new installation might solve this problem. Please check your system configuration."

I have this problem since KDE installation, Power Management just never worked. After two days of googling I becoming a little bit desperate :-) Any idea what's wrong here?

Last edited by HungryMonster (2012-07-21 09:43:34)

#2 2012-07-16 18:04:13

arojas
Developer

Re: [SOLVED] Power Management in KDE doesn't work

is the upower daemon running?

#3 2012-07-16 23:28:38

cfr

Are you sure that you installed everything necessary for that to work? Which parts of KDE did you install, for example?

I have to admit that I don't really understand the relationship between KDE's power management settings and what's underneath. I mostly ignore the former but, on the other hand, they are not greyed out so it definitely should work.

CLI Paste | How To Ask Questions

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#4 2012-07-17 07:50:00

HungryMonster

Thanks for your answers!

arojas wrote:

Not sure about that. I installed upower but I don't know how to configure it or if any configuration is needed. If I understand official documentation correctly, upower daemon should be started automatically if some application needs it.

cfr wrote:

Are you sure that you installed everything necessary for that to work? Which parts of KDE did you install, for example?

I have full KDE installation (# pacman -S kde-meta) so problem should be in my Arch installation, no in KDE itself. I have only installed Arch, Xorg, proprietary Nvidia drivers and KDE so far, so there is only small chance I break or messed up something - it's more likely something I didn't install yet or didn't know how to configure.

Last edited by HungryMonster (2012-07-17 07:52:40)

#5 2012-07-17 09:02:41

arojas
Developer

HungryMonster wrote:

Thanks for your answers!

arojas wrote:

Not sure about that.

ps -e | grep upower

check if you get a line with 'upowerd'

#6 2012-07-17 18:19:33

HungryMonster

arojas wrote:

check if you get a line with 'upowerd'

Ok, I checked and found nothing - upowerd isn't running.

#7 2012-07-17 18:41:42

arojas
Developer

HungryMonster wrote:

Ok, I checked and found nothing - upowerd isn't running.

That's the problem then... is dbus running correctly? Did you add it to the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf ?

#8 2012-07-17 19:55:40

HungryMonster

arojas wrote:

is dbus running correctly? Did you add it to the DAEMONS array in /etc/rc.conf ?

Currently I haven't dbus in my daemons array.

At first I added dbus there, but then KDE was extremely slow and I got many error messages about dbus. So I removed dbus from daemons array (after some googling - this seems to be a relatively common problem) and everything is fine now except for the power management. Dbus is still running though because when I log out from KDE I can read message in console about dbus shutting down.

#9 2012-07-17 21:34:33

cfr

The trouble with that is that dbus is required by a whole bunch of things so even if KDE is starting it later or something, it likely isn't getting started early enough for things to work right.

What *is* in your daemons array?

How are you starting KDE?

Did you just see errors or did you actually have issues with dbus in the array?

Arch Linux | x86_64 | GPT | EFI boot | refind | stub loader | systemd | LVM2 on LUKS
Lenovo x270 | Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz | Intel Wireless 8265/8275 | US keyboard w/ Euro | 512G NVMe INTEL SSDPEKKF512G7L

#10 2012-07-18 16:14:16

HungryMonster

cfr wrote:

What *is* in your daemons array?

My daemons array looks like this:

DAEMONS=(crond, hwclock, netfs, network, sensors, syslog-ng)

cfr wrote:

How are you starting KDE?

By startx command. Inside xinitrc file I have only this line:

exec ck-launch-session startkde

cfr wrote:

Did you just see errors or did you actually have issues with dbus in the array?

No, when I put dbus in my daemons array it loads normally without errors.  The only difference is KDE becomes extremely slow (to the point it's unusable).

#11 2012-07-18 21:09:45

cfr

I would think you need to put dbus back in the array and troubleshoot the slowness. The wiki indicates that's needed and I think you are going to have issues otherwise. For comparison:

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng iptables ip6tables !network @crond dbus rfkill wicd bluetooth @smartd avahi-daemon @avahi-dnsconfd @cupsd !@monitd @ntpd @sensors !@cpufreq @acpid @laptop-mode @alsa !@esd @clamav)

You might also try one of the other ways of starting KDE just to see if it makes a difference. I see lots of dbus errors in logs but it doesn't seem to slow KDE down.

#12 2012-07-21 09:43:14

HungryMonster

cfr wrote:

I would think you need to put dbus back in the array and troubleshoot the slowness.

You were right. I put dbus back in my daemons array and started KDE by KDM instead of startx. This solved the problem, KDE is fast as expected and Power Management is working just fine. I mark this thread as solved. Thanks for all the responses!

#13 2014-03-31 01:58:50

Musikolo

Hi guys,

Just in case it helps anyone, I had the same problem, but the solution I have found is different. All I had to do was to go to System Settings --> Startup and Shutdown --> Service Manager (tab) --> Startup Service (lower section). Then you have to make sure the Power Management service is checked and running. In my cause, it was unchecked and stopped, for some reason I don't know. This should be fix the problem.

Best regards.

#14 2014-04-07 21:17:56

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Musikolo, thank you for providing a potential additional solution. Things change a lot in Arch due to its rolling release nature. I'll close this thread to avoid further necros.

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

Board footer